infrequent trusses

Old 07-23-02, 11:31 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
infrequent trusses

I am doing the tear off right now and my house only has roof trusses about every 2'. The plan is to put new plywood down and new lifetime asphalt shingles. The gap seems a bit wide, even by 1937 standards. the roof creaks a bit because of this and I am wondering how dangerous it is... and if it is dangerous, what can I do about it, short of a complete new support system.

The plywood/shingles are coming tommorrow and I probably should forgo the roof top delivery. I don't know if I should overload the ridge with the structure this way.

900 sf floor plan, 9 in 12 roof pitch.

thanks guys!

Old 07-24-02, 05:10 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
24" on center is a common truss spacing even by todays standards.

Old 07-24-02, 06:45 AM
I have never heard of lifetime asphalt shingles. What can you tell us about them?

Old 07-24-02, 06:59 AM
P
Your average, fiberglass/asphalt three tab shingle, just a little thicker, with a copper granule in them to help inhibit algae growth, and a higher price to justify the lifetime replacement warranty that they come with. I figured that the extra $20 bucks a square was worth it if I decide to hang on to the house and even if I sell it I figured that it would make a nice selling point.

Thanks for the answer. You don't know how glad I am for your answer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: