Roofing Nails

Old 07-25-02, 05:36 AM
tkays
Visiting Guest
Roofing Nails

I know this may be a dumb question, but I have never done a roof before, so here goes

What size roofing nails do I need??

I am using asphalt shingles on a playhouse for my daughter. With roofing felt, and 1/2" plywood for the roof. I am not planning on covering the roof on the inside as of yet, so I do not want the nails to protrude through the plywood a whole lot. What size roofing nails do you suggest I use?

Also, what are button taps used for? I saw them at the store beside the roofing nails and was just wondering?

Thanks for any replies!!

Old 07-25-02, 06:48 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if yur fingers can stand it you could use 1" i would probably use 1 -1/4.button cap nails are for felt paper

Old 07-25-02, 05:02 PM
Nails

"Technically", the nail needs to go 3/4" INTO the deck (for thick decks) or 1/4" THROUGH the deck of thinner (ie 1/2") decks to follow manufacturers specifications.
However, if there is a chance that my children would be inside with nails protruding, I would not drive them through the decking. You should not have a problem.
I would weigh the chances of having some shingles "possibly" blow off, or my child hitting his/her head on a nail (not knowing how high the ceiling will be).
Your call. Good luck.

Old 07-26-02, 05:37 AM
tkays
Visiting Guest
The playhouse is 8wx6dx6h and the roof rises 2ft. So the nails won't be where my child would be able to hit them. I am just picky with the way it looks and really don't want a bunch of nails protruding through too far.
I Live in KY, and we don't get many high winds unless there is a serious thunderstorm. So I think 1" roofing nails would be okay. What are everyone elses thoughts on this?

Old 07-26-02, 08:34 AM
Thumbs up Nails

1" would be fine.

Old 07-26-02, 01:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Just for safety, you could put some very inexpensive 1/4" luan paneling inside over the rafters.

Old 07-27-02, 04:40 AM
tkays
Visiting Guest
Thanks

I will look into that, thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: