Silly putty on berber???

Old 08-11-02, 08:30 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Silly putty on berber???

I have a green stain line on my off-white berber carpet. It looks suspiciously like the silly putty my step-son was playing with - but naturally he did not play with it in that room (????? ). "It wasn't mean - I never even had my silly putty in there". So that ghost that hangs around here did it again. In any case - it almost seems to be a part of the carpet - any ideas how to get this off?
Thaks

Old 08-11-02, 09:45 AM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Silly Putty on Carpet

How to remove Silly Putty® & Clay from carpeting:
Materials

Dull knife or metal spoon
WD-40® (car part lubricant)
Liquid dishwashing detergent
Cotton balls
Rubbing alcohol
Soft cloth or sponge
Procedure
Scrape off excess Silly Putty or clay with a dull-edge knife or metal spoon. Spray with WD-40 and let stand a few minutes. Scrape excess Silly Putty or clay with dull-edge knife or metal spoon. Respray with WD-40 and wipe off stain with cotton balls. If any stain remains, saturate a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol, blot the stain and rinse. Wipe any remaining residue or remaining stain with a damp sponge or cloth moistened with liquid dishwashing detergent.

Stain Removal Tip. Crayola. Retrieved 11 August 2002. http://www.crayola.com/canwehelp/sta...action_tip.cfm

Old 06-17-13, 02:27 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I don't know about a "green stain" associated w/silly putty as it is pink. Hmm...

Anyway, I can't speak to "old, dried out" silly putty, but if fresh...
I was about to try some of the more extreme solutions about the web using alcohol, WD-40, Goo Gone, etc. when something occurred to me: silly putty is sticky unto itself!
I grabbed a fair glob of my kid's silly putty and started to work it into a warm and very malleable ball. I then stuck it into the couch fabric it was pressed into. As I doubbed the glob of silly putty onto the smaller clumps - it started to come up!
I then tried it on the carpet where there was a big glob I had ground in further by trying to remove by hand - same excellent results!
No stains, no chemicals! Just a little bit of time & effort daubing it out! The silly putty picked up a bunch of fabric lint but who cares? (it didn't seem to hurt it anyway! Lol)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: