Base Board Moulding - Before or After Carpet

Old 12-08-02, 08:27 AM
m9er
Visiting Guest
Base Board Moulding - Before or After Carpet

I'm having new carpet installed and the base board moulding has got to go as well (It's shot). I planned to install moulding after the carpet is installed, Which is what the installer stated he preferred as well.

I'm informed by a family member that the CORRECT/RIGHT way to handle this situation is to install the moulding before the carpet is installed. Then the Carpet is stretched to the moulding. That's the way it was done in his house.

I've discussed with several people in the carpet industry and it appears that they prefer the moulding be put on after the carpet so they don't have to worry about damaging the moulding.

My intention was to just install the new moulding to sit flush with the carpet which was stretched to the wall. Which is how it was done in the past.

Any advice at all would be much appreciated. I just don't see the harm in installing the moulding after the carpet.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-02, 09:12 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Put your base boards up first.Keep them 1/4 to 3/8 in. off the floor for a neat appearance around the room,It will also make your base boards look "fuller".If the base goes on after the carpet you will need to femove them every time you replace the carpet.

Old 12-08-02, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with Daniel.

The baseboards will clamp the carpet in. If it ever needs restretching or replacement later, the baseboards will need to be removed.

If you ever have a flood the baseboards will need to come off quickly to get that carpet and pad up ASAP!

Old 12-22-02, 12:39 PM
D Pell
Visiting Guest
Yes by raising the base board makes things easy and done right.Have you thought about carpet base its cheaper than wood ,no painting nailing.fussing, Just a thought,when I install carpiting i sudgest this. Good Luck.