carpet against tile

Old 02-28-03, 02:13 AM
Scott T M
Visiting Guest
carpet against tile

What is the cleanest looking most professional technique for butting carpet against tile? This is the doorway from bed to bath.

Both have yet to be layed.

Old 02-28-03, 05:58 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceramic Tile?
Tackstrip across the edge of the tile, held back away from the tile the thickness of the carpet, but no greater then 3/8", creating a gully for the carpet to tuck into.
Use carpet latex seam sealer, in the gully. A bead like your caulking the tile edge in the gully. You don't want to fill the gully with latex, or it will ooze out, when tucking the carpet in the gully, after stretching and trimming.

Vinyl Tile?
Use a transition metal. Z-bar with tackstrip can be used so no metal is exposed. The carpet is rolled over the Z-bar for a clean look. But be warned, over the years this could cause wear, and the metal crimp metal, or vinyl tap in transitions are recommended by the Carpet & Rug Institute.

Consumers around here, opt for the Z-bar over an exposed transition, 99% of the time. The only thing I refuse to use Z-bar on, is loop pile or what is referred as "berber" carpets, as it opens the rows and smiles, showing the backing

Old 03-03-03, 06:11 PM
Scott T M
Visiting Guest
thanks for the info on carpet against tile

Now I'm curious. The tile setter is floating the floor tile on mortar which will bring the total thickness above the subfloor to about 1 1/8 inch. He tells me thats no problem as far as a flush joint between the carpet & tile. True?

Old 03-03-03, 06:18 PM
Jim Schnasa
Visiting Guest
If I'm understanding you right Scott. Your saying the tile is gonna be 1 1/8 inch higher than the floor your carpet is going on? If so, No it is'nt a problem. You just need to ramp up your sub floor. Get some portland base patch and subtract the thickness of the tack strip and carpet, and float up to the height you need to make your transition flush.The farther you flaot out the less you will beable to notice it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: