Railing screwed in over carpet but no padding?

Old 03-02-03, 07:46 AM
TerL
Visiting Guest
Question Railing screwed in over carpet but no padding?

My carpet installers did a horrible install job but thankfully I am entitled to a lifetime stretch. Before I have them come out I removed the stairway railing and pulled back the carpet to see what was doing underneath it. I see that the installers cut out the padding where the railing base is screwed down. This is where some of the problem lies because the cut-out is not inline with where the base of the railing screws down, there is some bulging around that area. I put a piece of padding to fill in where necessary, but my question is, should there be padding over the entire area where the railing screws down or is it customary to cut-out the padding and then screw down into the carpet?

Old 03-02-03, 11:38 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If it is full pad under the railing base it will rock BAD, and be very unstable. Many will opt to carpet around it for the stability of the railing.
I am sorry for your bad experience with the install

Old 03-02-03, 11:44 AM
Zyloth
Visiting Guest
never like the idea of installing a stair railing over anything. If railing is installed over carpet it provides a little flex everytime weight is placed upon it allowing the screws to move. If the base is secured directly to the wood stair, then that base provides a little more support. Some bases are too big to place under the carpet so it becomes a give and take situation between proper support and looks. If you have a good installer and he/she spends a little time in the problems areas, I am sure they will find a solution for your problem.

Good Luck!!!!!

Old 03-02-03, 07:51 PM
As the others have stated, the railing mount needs to be very secure. It will never be as secure as needed, if you sandwich anything between the mounting and a solid surface.

Tell us, what is so terrible about the carpet installation and the things you don't like?

We want satisfied homeowners, so they will purchase carpet again. Maybe we can direct you in the right way to resolve the problems you see, so you can fully enjoy your investment, instead of the sour taste your having now.

Old 03-02-03, 08:01 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Carpet & Railing Installation

All the houses I have lived in had railing installed on stairs directly to treads before carpet installation. Then, carpet and pad was cut and installed around. Of course, I defer to Perry and other carpet experts.

Old 03-03-03, 07:16 AM
TerL
Visiting Guest
More about my carpet install problems

First of all to give you a better picture, the problem area is on the landing when you come up the stairs. This part of the railing extends across so you can't fall over the stairs. The part of the railing you hold onto when going down the stairs is securely screwed into the wall. The other end screws into the railing post. It's this post that has the base where the carpet bulges. It uses four large bolt screws to hold it down and is pretty secure. I don't get much wobbling. There are two other base locations that use two screws. The top of the railing screws into the wall. So you guys get the picture?

As far as the poor carpet install. To start with, I painted my baseboard molding before the install only to have the installer scuffed it up when tucking the carpet. I think he could have been a little more careful. Plus they didn't tack down the carpet before putting down the metal strip thingy by my kitchen threshold. The carpet installer who came to fix it give me the impression that he was surprised the original installer didn't tack down the carpet. And some of today's problems are, I have a bubble in an area behind my sofa in an area which is rarely walked on. This problem popped up all of a sudden. The carpet in my dining room has never laid flat at the threshold. I am wondering if they skipped the tacking here too and just figured nailing the metal strip down would do the trick. Oh and I had to run out to Home Depot to get the metal strip because they only had gold. I had specifically asked for silver. There are throughtout the house other areas specifically along the baseboard they don't lay flat. It seems to me that the carpet puffs up a bit too much, but I am living with that.

Old 03-03-03, 05:58 PM
D
It sounds to me like you should invite your salesman or the owner of the carpet store to come over and take a look around. If they refuse it's time to call an independant inspector.You do not have to live with a bad install, you paid good money to have your carpet installed,you deserve a proper installation.
The carpet store will most likely come to look at it and have someone come take care of your concerns.

Old 03-03-03, 06:32 PM
TerL
Visiting Guest
The installer

I purchased the carpet from Home Depot and they contract out the installer. Since Home Depot guarantees the install for the life of the carpet, I will just keep calling them as problems arise and they have to send someone out. So far they haven't given me a hassle about it, and I think the carpet is about 3 years old.

Old 03-03-03, 06:54 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Carpet installation

Most carpet installations are guaranteed for one year. If Home Depot guarantees the installation for the life of the carpet, then you are in luck. It sounds like you got a bad install from the beginning.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: