Carpet dye?

Old 03-03-03, 02:24 AM
Hepnotic
Visiting Guest
Question Carpet dye?

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a condo and will be moving in a couple of weeks, so I think this community will give me some valuable information now

One thing that really needs to be changed in the condo is the carpet. It's only a few years old, its good quality too and in good shape, but... IT'S PINK!!!

Most wouldn't care, but im a 22 year old bachelor, and I can't be having pink carpet. I can't bear to throw away good carpet and spend a couple thousand dollars for new carpet.

Can I dye the carpet and change it to silver/platinum? Or is getting new carpet my only option? If I did dye it, would it have any negative effects, like it bringing down the quality, or make it harder to clean, funny smell, ect...?

I was looking at home depot, and they had nice silver plush carpet for $3 per square ft installed. My condo is 720 sq feet, but probably only need 650 or so since the kitchen and bathroom are tiled.

Any input is appreciated.

Old 03-04-03, 01:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dying todays solution dyed yarns, is not something a DIY'er is going to be able to find the right color correction tools to do a quality job, much less something they should be tackling. Unless the conditions you are trying to avoid... "would it have any negative effects, like it bringing down the quality, or make it harder to clean, funny smell, ect...?"

What could be worse then pink carpet? How about yellow carpet? Bleach it!! LOL... NO!! I was joking!

I would live on it, trash it as a bachelor would. Then replace it with something of your choice in 6 months, or right after the superbowl party. Which ever comes first.

Old 03-10-03, 08:46 PM
BGC
Visiting Guest
Pink carpet? You must have got a heck of a deal on the condo!

We recently purchaased the DC townhome we'd been renting for three years. The beige carpets were worn and nasty - 14 yrs of dogs and feet and kids. Anyway, we are getting rid of them room by room, and replacing with Bruce Oak parquet. flooring If you can lay tile you can lay this, and thus far we've done the LR & DR and the result is spectacular - clean and shiny and already much less dust on the furniture. And I clean it with a Swifter type product in about 2 minutes. Costs about $3 a sf at Home Depot- worth much more. Good luck - and think pink!

Old 03-12-03, 06:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I too suggest hard surfaces to my clients, for the traffic lanes and heavily used rooms, but for shear comfort & warmth, NOTHING beats soft carpet.

I always suggest carpet for bedrooms.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: