Treating underlay before new carpet

Old 03-23-03, 03:25 AM
sval1
Visiting Guest
Question Treating underlay before new carpet

I am having new carpet installed and need to know what to use to treat old pet stains on the wood flooring -to keep the dog from smelling old urine--think previous owners had a dog -now my dog is attracted to a particular area regardless of cleaning.My guess is the scent is into the flooring--would Kilz work to eliminate the scent? I do not want a repeat of the 'P' problem .Thanks

Old 03-23-03, 06:15 AM
Jim Schnasa
Visiting Guest
I would seal the floor with kilz or some type of sealer.

Old 03-23-03, 06:58 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1 part shellac, 1 part water, 1 coat with a roller

Old 04-05-03, 03:42 PM
Ray Franklin
Visiting Guest
You want to treat the areas first. The safest to use in a live enzyme. Not the ones over the counter, they are too weak to be effective. You have to go to a professional carpet cleaner supply or maybe a janitorial supply. These will need 24 - 48 hours and is completely safe. Bleach is very effective and fast working, but can be caustic to your sprayer, and fabric. If the area gets wet (like a broken water pipe) the bleach can reactivate and wick up through your carpet. For that reason, when using bleach, it is best to rinse the floor before sealing it. I prefer applying it with a pump up sprayer, thinly misting the floor. When you hit a contaminated area, the bleach will bubble up, simply saturate that area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: