which do I do first?

Old 04-20-03, 05:58 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
which do I do first?

Hi,
Just put down DriCore subfloor in the basement with the 1/4 inch expabnsion space all around. I will be putting Berber carpeting down with an underpad. My question is?: Do I nail my baseboard moldings to the wall first and then have the carpet guy come and install the carpet. If so do I raise the molding up a tiny bit for air circulation. Or is the carpet tack strips laid down close to the wall, then the carpet, and then I nail the moldings over top of the carpeting? Which is the best /proper way to do this. Thanks.
George, a very proud Marine Corps dad

Old 04-20-03, 08:27 PM
Jim Schnasa
Visiting Guest
The best way is to nail on your base board first. Leave it up about 1/2 inch,that way the carpet can flow under the base. It will give you a much cleaner look,and not hide any of the base.

Old 04-20-03, 08:38 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Baseboards

The guys I worked for took a piece of scrap baseboard and laid it flat on the floor and used that as I guide for installing and leaving a space beneath baseboard for stretching carpet into.

Old 04-21-03, 02:56 AM
G

Thanks everyone...sounds good....but would a 1/4 inch gap be o.k.? That way I can use a piece of the colonial molding under to space it. I don't want the carpeting going right up against the wall, because I want to leave an airspace between the dricore and the wall. Thanks
George

Old 04-21-03, 10:42 AM
Ya, ¼" is more realistic for a low loop pile berber. The thickness of the carpet is best.

This does give a clean look.

If you clamp the carpet on the tackstrip, by installing the carpet first. You will need to remove the baseboards to remove the carpet, for any reason.

Old 04-21-03, 07:22 PM
G

Hi,
I ended up using some old molding as a spacer underneath and it was 3/8 inch..It should work out well..Now to find a carpet that my wife and I both like(that is reasonably priced) will be a chore.....Saw some decent ones at Home Depot...
George

Old 04-22-03, 07:47 PM
Home Depot is a great place to purchase carpet, but you don't want to have it installed by their installation service!!!!!!!!
They say free pad with installation... Nothing is free, or they are the highest paid installers around. Far from it. By the time the installer sees his money, it has gone through so many hands, nothing is left to do a by the book installation. All kind of corners get cut.

Buy your carpet at Home Depot but go here to find an Educated, Qualified, Professional Installer, with Integrity and most of all PRIDE in his craftsmanship.

CFIinstallers.com

Click on find an installer, then type in your zipcode.

GOOD LUCK shopping.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: