Installing vinyl runner on stairs

Old 05-08-03, 08:20 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing vinyl runner on stairs

Good news is tomorrow we get our new nylon berber carpeting installed

Bad news is we have desperately needed new carpeting for 3-4 years because of pets... Since we still have the pets, I am thinking ahead to protect the new carpeting.

The area that always looks the worst is the stairs. I am seriously considering a vinyl runner on the stairs so they look good longer.

What is the best way to attach the runner to the stairs, doing the least damage to the carpeting?

I saw another person recently posted a runner question, but theirs were on flat flooring.

Thanks!

Old 05-08-03, 03:56 PM
The only thing that comes to mind right now, would be metal runner rods, used for wood staircases and they have an expensive woven runner down the middle.

Attaching these is going to try to pull snag runners when you mount them in the berber.

I say order enough carpet now to replace the stairs later, if your worried about traffic on your staircase. The staircase gets the most traffic in the entire home!! Carpet manufacturers won't even warranty there carpet on a staircase, because of the abuse they receive.

Old 05-08-03, 06:13 PM
D
I gotta go with Perry on this one, buy enough of the same carpet to do the steps a second time. The average to large set of steps only use eight square yards of carpet. When you make the purchase make sure if you are buying the carpet installed that they give you an uninstalled rate for the extra eight yards. And naturally, ask for a CFI certified installer.

Old 05-09-03, 07:25 AM
A
Thanks for the help. I had hoped it would be easier.

As far as ordering extra carpet, I'll have to hope there are plenty of scraps left -- they will be here within the hour to install what was measured a month ago

Old 05-09-03, 06:37 PM
D
I hope your install went well. I would advise against putting a vinyl runner on stairs as it poses a trip hazzard.

Old 05-10-03, 02:33 AM
Here is an idea.

When the carpet get too unbearable, buy a carpet that accents your stairs and home. A patterned piece.

Since the old carpet on the sides of stairs looks practically brand new, when the middle traffic lane gets dirty. Use the carpet along the sides, that matches the rest of the home as a border down the stairs, along the sides and the patterned carpet down the middle as a runner effect.

Old 05-10-03, 09:08 AM
A
That's a good idea

We lucked out... The Home Depot installers did a GREAT job. Plus, since our carpet is 13', there was extra left over....plenty to do the stairs in a few years if needed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: