Textured Saxony Carpet question..please!

Old 05-14-03, 05:54 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Textured Saxony Carpet question..please!

A big box store has this carpet priced at $1.47 sqft. with a free pad. The salesman figured up the price of install at $22.38 a sqyd. This leaves around $9.00 difference from the price of carpet to the install price. Does this seem like the installers are getting a huge price or the pad is NOT free or both??

Secondly, this carpet is 6.6 Wear-Dated nylon, 55 face wt, 4.75 twist, 4400 thread count made by Coronet and is 1/2" cutpile. The twist rate threw me a little, but would this still be a good medium-grade carpet to buy? Thanks alot Alan for having this forum...we appreciate it.

Old 05-14-03, 07:25 AM
Jim Schnasa
Visiting Guest
I'm sure the pad is figured in the price, nothings free.And as far as the installer getting a huge install price, I doubt it. The store keeps a major part of the labor price. I would shop around, I think you could find a better price on the material. And get your own installer, as you never know who you might get out of a big box store. Go to cfiinstallers.com should be an installer in your area.

Old 05-14-03, 08:02 AM
J
thanks Jim...good info.

Old 05-14-03, 09:43 AM
J
Another question about choosing which carpet would have the better performance: found one (1) that is nylon, face wt=72oz, twist=4.28, pile density=4881, price=$23.50 installed; the other (2) is nylon, face wt=55oz, twist=4.75, pile density=4400, price=$22 installed . They are both the same style cut pile textured carpet.

Which one would you choose??

Old 05-14-03, 06:55 PM
Jim Schnasa
Visiting Guest
I personally would chose the one with the higher number twist. The higher number of twist gives the yarn more durability. But it also depends on what type of look your after.If your after that smooth velvety look then I would go with the higher density.Another thing to think about is the cushion you put under your new carpet. The higher density cushion the better and longer your carpet will perform. I would recommend 7/16 8lb. If you use anything higher than that you could be asking for problems with that style of carpet.Such as picture framing.

Last edited by Jim Schnasa; 05-14-03 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-14-03, 08:58 PM
Buy your carpet anywhere but have it installed by a CFI Certified Installer.

Home Depot here charges .88 per sq.ft. and then adds tax on that. Oh, ya, free pad. NOTHING IS FREE!

The company that does there installations here called me and asked if I'd do there work, at there low price. I had to laugh. I have not work for those prices in 15 years. It wasn't ANYWHERE near .88 per sq.ft. Try a of that rate. The cheapest guys in town! Talk about HACKS!

My clients are more then pleased to pay me Home Depots rates and more without sales tax on my labor.
I'll supply the pad for free too.

#1 rule of purchasing flooring. Interview your installer personally, don't buy from someone and not know who is going to show up to install or butcher your investment. You may not want to let them in your home when they arrive.

Old 05-14-03, 09:31 PM
Jim Schnasa
Visiting Guest
I could'nt agree you more Perry. We have the same problem out here with the big box shops. You never know who your gonna get.

Old 05-15-03, 04:35 AM
J
Thanks guys. Sounds like good advice. I'm leaning towards the higher twist rate also...not a great difference in the density. I checked around my area for a certified installers and there's only 2 locally, and they either own the carpet store or are associated with one...at least on the website listing. Could a reputable small local carpet shop have good installers but not listed with this association? I've gone to Home Depot and Lowes (was leaning to Lowes) and will now canvas the smaller well known shops (usually higher priced) in my area.
What would I do, go to Lowes, buy the carpet, then have my installer pick it up and install at my house? And would I buy the pad (which is really high at Lowes) at Lowes too? Not sure about the logistics, but I like this carpet at Lowes for $13.23 sqyd, but that may only be if I use their installers.

I guess what I'm trying to say is would it be better for me to find the carpet somewhere and buy it then have an installer of my choice install it, or let the installer hook me up with the carpet seller? Confused a bit.

Thanks.

Last edited by jimtnc; 05-15-03 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-15-03, 07:36 AM
LisaCea
Visiting Guest
You could check to see if thje carpet you like at Lowes is available at www.ifloors.com, and then hire the CFI guys in your area to install it.

Call the CFI guy that actually owns the shop first. Tell him what's up and how you found him. He can probably provide pad ata reasonable price and maybe even the carpet as wel.

Old 05-16-03, 04:41 AM
J
Thanks to all who responded. At the end of the day and after going 'round and 'round with employess at the big box stores, I decided to go with a local carpeteer in business for 14 years and a good reputation...though slightly higher than most others. According to my figures he came in at about $350 more than Lowe's with Shaw Matchmaker carpet, but I can count of the pad being right, the installers are certified and it's a family business.

Made a decision that a little savings wasn't worth the hassle and worry about what I was getting for my money. The carpet I picked out at Lowe's probably would've been fine, but I couldn't seem to nail down a firm price for complete installation. Not even sure the employees I encountered knew much about what they were selling.

Again, thanks to all for helping and old man...well, getting there anyway.

Old 05-16-03, 07:32 AM
LisaCea
Visiting Guest
YOu may have saved youself some money (and aggrevation) in the long run.

The mom and pop shops are the way to go in the flooring biz,
you just have to choose them carefully and check your installer's refernces.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: