Carpet Quote

Old 06-07-03, 08:45 AM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
Carpet Quote

I am having my carpet installed in my basement which I have finished. My house was buit in the 1960's and a french drain was added. Floor was painted a couple of times. I have grinded the paint and adhesive (construction) the tackless stripps and nailed the tacks with the nails supplied. Then drilled and masonary nailed again with 1 1/2" masonary nails, 4 nails per strip. Is that enough or do the installers use more?

Also, I am having a berber type rug installed with 3/8" no-crush. The pad equals the thickness of the carpet. Or, for 100.00 more they will install a rubber back pad. It sounded like alot for 21 linear feet of carpet. Also, since the house was buit in the 1960's, I was afraid the rubber may trap moisture. Should I call the back and change the pad to rubber?? Thanks for your help!!

Old 06-07-03, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rubber pad is a better cushion. Now the value to you, might not justify the extra cost.

3/8", 8-lb. bonded urethane is standard cushion.

Being a basement, I would roll out a poly moisture barrier, and cushion on that.

You installed the tackstrip, and someone else is installing the carpet?
How wide is the gully between the tackstrip and the wall for the carpet to tuck into?
Are you going to get mad if the installers want to replace your tackstrip because it is placed wrong for the carpet you want installed?

Old 06-07-03, 08:46 PM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
on average I installed the tackless 1/2" away from the base. It's a finger thickness away. I pre installed them not to save money, but to insure a good installation and make it easier to install. I'm trying to set the job up so I get an excellent installation. I always tip and try to help. I've been on some jobs where a homeowner won't even offer a glass of water. But should I spend the hundred bucks and go with the rubber or save my money and go with the nocrush. I can tell a difference and like the foam, but is it going to change the duability???Thanks in advance...Steve

Old 06-08-03, 06:37 AM
The less squishy, the more durable.

You have some fat fingers, or you didn't pinch the tackstrip tight against them.

Tackstrip should be the thickness of the carpet away from the base. No greater then 3/8" for thick plush carpets.
Although not correct, you should be alright. You may get a little picture framing effect.

Old 06-08-03, 03:55 PM
D
Is the baseboard tight to the floor or up off of it a little? If it is off the floor a little you'll have no picture framing of the edges. There is a french drain in place so there should be no moisture problems so I would not worry about the poly moisture barrier.

Go with the 3/8 no crush, the diff between the two is not noticible enough to justify the price diff.

I hope your installation goes well.

Old 06-08-03, 06:04 PM
Good catch Daniel!

We don't have basements here in "Limestone" Central Texas. We do have homes built into the side of cliffs and hills. These have french drains, and they still have a lot of MVE.

I guess my thinking, is better safe then sorry.

Carry on.

Old 06-08-03, 06:23 PM
D
life's different in concrete land

Old 06-08-03, 06:23 PM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
I now see what your saying. the carpet is going to be tucked tightly in the gully. And if it's away it will pucker. And yes, I didn't pinch the tackless strips tight. I was afraid of making it too tight. Maybe I'll add a piece of thin shoe molding. "I see now said the blind man." My next carpet will have to be thick if I don't !! Thanks guys!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: