Basement Flood -- Carpet -- Mildew -- How to prevent?

Old 06-25-03, 09:45 AM
yosefesq
Visiting Guest
Basement Flood -- Carpet -- Mildew -- How to prevent?

I recently had a flood in my basement. I do not have padding underneath the carpet -- it was glued down. I had the water vacuumed out and have a fan and dehumidifier working to get out the remaining excess water. What I am concerned about is the possibility of mildew or some other bacteria growing on or underneath the carpet etc. due to the water from the floow. Can someone please let me know what to do and what product to purchase, if there is one. Time is of the essence, so I'd appreciate any input as soon as possible. Thanks!

Old 06-25-03, 02:53 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First thing, where did the water come from? Outside, water main, sewer? If it was a one time water leak you'll be ok with just new pad, as it really holds water.

Usually the pad is only glued on the edges and the seams, so its not too hard to remove. If you have it dry, and I mean really dry, you'll be ok.

Old 06-25-03, 03:38 PM
yosefesq
Visiting Guest
Thanks for responding. I think you might have misunderstood some of my question. I do not have padding at all, they just glued the carpet down onto the floor).

The flood occurred after several days of heavy rainfall and came from outside into my basement. I have heard that if something isn't done, there may be a problem with mildew etc. I already have an odor in the room and I wanted to know what I need to do to fix the problem and make sure I don't have any problem with mildew, mold, bacteria, etc.

Any insight and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Old 06-25-03, 03:56 PM
D
just have it cleaned and you're good to go

Old 06-25-03, 05:18 PM
Run a dehumidifier constantly and have fans moving air. If you already have that musty smell, you may have had mold & mildew somewhere before the flood. Especially in a basement!!!!

Mold doesn't like air flow. Mold loves moist, dark, airless places.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: