Carpet removal and reuse

Old 06-27-03, 12:42 PM
mkaur
Visiting Guest
Carpet removal and reuse

Ummm - this might sound like a stupid question but......
We just bought a house which has wall-to-wall carpeting over hardwood floors. We'd like to remove the carpet from the common living areas and refinish the wood floors. But - we would also like to re-use the carpet that we remove. The bedrooms have older carpet, while the living areas have newer carpeting. So we wonder if it is possible to take the new carpet out of the living areas and reinstall it in the bedrooms! If yes - should we attempt the whole thing ourselves or get professional help? We are complete novices

ANy guidance will be appreciated

Old 06-27-03, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 160 Likes on 124 Posts
It is possible to reuse carpeting. Having seen carpet pros installing it with ease, I personally would never do it myself (and there isn't much that I WON'T try). Among other things it takes specialized tools to do the job right. Check around with carpet dealers to see what it would cost.

My $.02 worth.

Old 06-28-03, 10:45 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
as long as the room is smaller than the room it is being removed from you can do it.The problem would be trying to make a seam with the old carpet,the tufts are wore down so it would be more difficult to get a proper seam.So if the room that you are removing the carpet to be used again is bigger than the room that it is going in then go ahead.Now you may want to try to do this yourself cause most installers don't want to mess with this type of install cause things have been too good for too long and we're all a l ittle spoiled,not as hungry as we used to be,so you may find someone to do it but may want a little more money to do that

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: