Carpeting or flooring in hallways?

Old 07-02-03, 12:35 PM
mark754
Visiting Guest
Carpeting or flooring in hallways?

Hello, we are going to recarpet our house in a neutral beige color and will also install laminate flooring (e.g. Pergo) in certain areas such as the family room and adjoining kitchen.

Right now, there is carpeting in the hallways, but we were thinking about putting Pergo in the hallways instead, since hallway carpeting usually wears out and starts to look shabby pretty fast.

OTOH, this might not look so good and would break up the continuity of the rooms, making the house seem smaller (most of the bedrooms will be carpeted). We'd also need to use a lot of mouldings where the carpet transitions to Pergo, which are easy to trip over. Another possibility is just using carpet in the hallways and using a runner rug to reduce wear. What do y'all think?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-03, 12:50 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Our hallway uglied out pretty quick, so I pulled the carpet up and put down hardwood.

Old 07-15-03, 03:44 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with Daniel and would opt for the laminate, or better yet wood. Carpeting does tend to get nasty quickly in a main hallway. I am not trying to tell you what to do but look into hardwood. Laminate is nice and easy to maintain but it is still laminate. if something happens with laminate it has to be replaced while with wood it can just be sanded lightly and throw a coat of poly on the spot. Wood also increases the value of a home, laminate does not. The reason I say this is that I have many friends who opted for laminate only to whish they went with wood because when they looked into it wood really was not much more expensive than laminate and if taken care of it will last you a life time as well as the generations lifetime. I refinish hardwood floors on the side and just finished refinishing 1200 square feet of wide pine floors. The house was built in 1855 and these were the original floors. When we got finished with them they looked brand new. I am not bragging about myself I am just pointing out the longevity of even a soft wood like pine. Good luck on you decision.