laminate / carpet 'transition' question

Old 08-20-03, 10:47 PM
dart
Visiting Guest
laminate / carpet 'transition' question

This is a 'transition' question-used to have kitchen lino, then carpet in a hall that was tacked into alum strip so that all you saw was a little alum"quarter rd."at the carpet edge. Now the lino has laminate floor over it ( with an "end cap"that finishes the laminate edge, but the rug / alum strip has been pried up and I don"t know how to finish off the carpet side. (I'd rather not see any alum strip now)-Maybe just tack it down with wood tack strip? better to have pro stretch it and use better strip? Any kind of price estimate? Any advice appreciated

Old 08-21-03, 03:01 PM
neflamingo
Visiting Guest
I would recommend having a pro come and restretch your carpet if it was pulled off of the tackstrips. Just tacking it down could cause major wrinkles later on. The installer can show you some different options for transition to the laminate. Some people have their carpet turned and tucked under by their laminate.

Old 08-21-03, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is something you can do yourself.

Buy a stick or 2 of tackstrip.
Nail it behind the endcap, leaving a gully/gap between the tackstrip and endcap, the same as the thickness of the carpet, unless it is greater then 3/8". Stretch the carpet up an onto the tackstrip. Rub the carpet on the tackstrip with a hammer head, to set the pins into the backing. Run a bead of latex carpet seam sealer in the gully( not too muck. Just a bead) Trim any excess longer then 1/8" over the endcap(you need some carpet to tuck. Don't cut it short!) Now use a butter knife to tuck the carpet into the gully. Trim any nylon strings that might be hanging out.

Old 08-26-03, 02:37 PM
FloorMagic
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Carpets Done Wright-
>>This is something you can do yourself. Stretch the carpet up an onto the tackstrip. Now use a butter knife to tuck the carpet into the gully.

Old 08-27-03, 08:30 PM
Why of coarse with a carpet stretcher.
Carpet Stretcher

It would really sound funny if I told them to use a pizza cutter, somewhat like the EZ-tuck tool

Old 08-28-03, 04:39 PM
FloorMagic
Visiting Guest
Do you seriously recommend someone unfamilar with a Power Stretcher go out and rent one for such a small job? They should user a stretcher then finish the job with the kitchen flatware? What's up wit dat? It would be simpler and probably cheaper in the long run to hire a pro.

If you uncheck- >>Automatically parse URLs:

Old 08-29-03, 12:51 PM
D
Originally posted by neflamingo
I would recommend having a pro come and restretch your carpet if it was pulled off of the tackstrips. Just tacking it down could cause major wrinkles later on. The installer can show you some different options for transition to the laminate. Some people have their carpet turned and tucked under by their laminate.
I agree. There are many options and a pro can walk you through them.

Old 08-31-03, 12:30 AM
eJM
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by FloorMagic:
Do you seriously recommend someone unfamilar with a Power Stretcher go out and rent one for such a small job? They should user a stretcher then finish the job with the kitchen flatware? What's up wit dat? It would be simpler and probably cheaper in the long run to hire a pro.
-------------------------------------------------

Well, yes, FM, this is the DIY forum after all. People come here because they want to do things like this theirselves. Although dart is asking if a pro might be a solution and it's perfectly acceptable to tell him/her it's your recommendation, there's certainly nothing wrong with suggesting, on a do-it-yourself forum, to do it yourself.

This doesn't seem like a situation a competent DIYer couldn't handle. I might have suggested using something a little different than a butter knife to tuck the carpet, but Perry gave good advice. It's prob'ly safe to assume that any place that rents a power stretcher, may also have a stair tool for tucking and a carpet knife for cutting.

It has been a long time since I have been here. I notice there's a new message board software, and a good one too, but the vB code is turned off. Why is that? It makes posting links and images so much easier. Larger images and inappropriate links or pictures can be deleted by a moderator, if that's the problem.

------------------------------------------
If you uncheck- >>Automatically parse URLs:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: