Carpeting stair treads

Old 08-30-03, 02:57 PM
RRS
Visiting Guest
Carpeting stair treads

We want to carpet stair treads on a curved staircase. The first 12 treads are straight (30"w x 10"d) and the last 4 are 30"w and taper down to 5" d on the inside of the curve.

We are not thinking of using a runner but only treads. Where can we find "carpeting" that can be adapted to conform to the taper on the treads in the curve?

I appreciate your concern and assistance.

Old 08-30-03, 03:50 PM
Jim Schnasa
Visiting Guest
Almost any carpet will work.

Old 08-31-03, 01:59 AM
eJM
Visiting Guest
Jim is right, almost any carpet will work. I'm not sure I understand your distinction between runner and tread. A runner is a carpet that usually runs the full length of the stairway, but is narrower than the steps are wide. It can be done in a waterfall method, where the carpet falls from over the tread, drops straight down the riser and to the next tread. A bull-nose or upholstered method follows the contour of the stair nose, which usually sticks out 3/4" or so over the riser.

A "tread" installation consists of installing carpet only on the tread, leaving the riser bare. It can also be narrower than the step is wide, but doesn't look as well as a fully covered step in my opinion.

If this is a tread installation, you may be able to make a template of the tapered steps. If they are all about the same, you can use the same template to cut each one. Try to keep the pile of the carpet going in the same direction, although adhering strictly to this rule means more waste. The pile should go up or down the steps -- many pros have their own opinions on which way is preferable -- I suggest downward.

Start in the middle on the nose of the tread and attach the carpet to the underside of the nose with either 1/4" crown staples or brads or a good quality adhesive (like Contact cement) or a combination. Using a knee kicker or stair stretcher (available at rental stores all over), stretch the carpet back to the riser and hook it over the tackless strip -- again, start in the middle and fan out in both directions to take the fullness to the sides.

Trim the carpet at the back of the tread, leaving it a little full, and tuck it into the gully between the tackless and the riser. Bump the sides up tight and trim and tuck those as well. After a few steps, you'll get faster and they will look great when you're done.

Of course, I always recommend a qualified professional installation, but sometimes accomplishing a project like this yourself is half the enjoyment of having new carpet on the steps.

Enjoy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: