Basement Carpet Pad questions

Old 09-09-03, 11:00 AM
edbreyer
Visiting Guest
Question Basement Carpet Pad questions

We are recarpeting our basement (concrete floor). The previous owner had installed carpeting (no pad) via a gluedown method – which someone told me was a sign that the owner was concerned about flooding. However there are no signs of water damage and we’ve been here 2 years (during record rainfalls) and haven’t had a drop of water come in. The floor also passed the vapor test (taped plastic). Nevertheless I’m looking for installation recommendations. Specifically:

1) Should we glue down without a pad or install tack strips and use a pad?

2) If we use a pad – what type should we use? Same type okay for the stairs?

Since we will be using the room for a play area and rec room/office – we would certainly prefer the softness and “warmth” of padding:

Has anyone heard or used a special carpet pad called “Enviro Cushion” (http://www.fairwaycarpet.com/enviro.htm)? It’s supposed to be specially designed for concrete floors (100% Waterproof, No Chlorofluocarbons, 4.5 R factor, 100% Non Alergenic, 3/8" thick, 15 lb. Density Feel). However it's $6.50 sq yd OUCH!

Our carpet store – which never heard of Enviro Cushion - is recommending a waffled synthetic rubber pad that has a polyester (Textron) backing (“Sterlingate Signature”).

As an aside, at our last house the installer recommended/used a felt pad under berber – maybe because it was more breathable (not sure).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-09-03, 06:53 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An R- value of 4.5 is negligable at best. If you would like to do it yourself there are carpet tiles with attached cushion. They look great installed, and the best part is repairs are EASY.

But to answer the question about padding, I would need to know what carpet you are installing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: