molding or carpet first?

Old 10-06-03, 07:25 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question molding or carpet first?

Hello! We are having carpet installed in our basement in the next couple weeks. Our question: Does the base molding go on before or after the carpet is installed? I'm thinking if we put it on first, then it could get scratched or banged up as they install the carpet. Is there any reason to not install it after the carpet's in?
Thanks!
Ann

Old 10-06-03, 07:28 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
Not that I know of. Do it after and the level will be perfect, and less dings!

Old 10-07-03, 04:30 PM
D
Put it on first and take your chances with the dings or the next time you replace it you will need to remove the base. I'd also say to put it 1/4" off the floor for a neater appearance after the install.

Old 10-09-03, 09:19 PM
The baseboards should be installed prior to the carpet and not installed tight against the subfloor. Raise them " off the subfloor, for a cleaner carpet tucking job.

Just put the first coat of paint on them or keep some paint for touch up, since the carpet backing is like sandpaper, unless you have chosen a Shaw carpet with "softbac"

If the installers need to install tackstrip and hit the baseboard, they will be responsible for replacement if it is trashed or wood filler if it is just a nick.

Like Daniel said, putting the baseboard over the carpet traps it on the tackstrip, and the next time the carpet is replaced all the baseboards will need to be removed. Say you have the misfortune of a water leak, those baseboards will be trashed trying to remove them in a hurry, or you will rip the carpet trying to pull it out from the baseboard clamp.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: