Stuck carpet padding

Old 10-16-03, 07:24 PM
ElaineS
Visiting Guest
Stuck carpet padding

Help!!
I am in the process of remodeling our bedroom, which means ripping up the carpet. we bought the house about 13 yrs ago, and the carpet was in reasonably good condition, so we left it. Now, though, with new bedroom furniture, colorwashed walls (yes, I did it !) we want the hardwood floors under the carpet to show. In the closets, and where the bed was, it was easy. But the heavily trafficked areas are awful. Its solid and completely attached to the hardwood. What can I use to make it relatively easy (I am not opposed to hard work, but if something makes it easier........) to get it off the floor? I am using a plastic putty scraper so not to scratch the floor, but it seems useless. Anything sharper would probably take it off, along with the finish, which has been covered up since the house was built (24 yrs ago)
I wasn't sure if I could use water on the floor, or is there some kind of spray I can use. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Elaine

Old 10-17-03, 04:13 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know of anything that will help to get that off the floor that won't harm the finish.

Old 10-19-03, 09:03 PM
Harry M
Visiting Guest
Get a razor scraper or some compatible floor scraper . You could always sand and refinish the floor.

Old 10-28-03, 07:09 PM
jprdh
Visiting Guest
Angry stuck carpet padding

To Elaine S.

Old 10-28-03, 07:12 PM
jprdh
Visiting Guest
To Elaine S
Did you ever find anything that worked on your stuck carpet padding? I have the same problem on my wood stairs and it is a mess. Black and tarlike. I know there must be something you can use to dissolve it. JP

Old 10-29-03, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put your tennis shoes on and use the bottom of the shoe to rub back and forth to get as much of the top junk crumbled off.

Try mineral spirits, along with a windshield "ice scraper"

Soak a washcloth in mineral spirits. Rub it on the residue and then let the washcloth sit for 2-3 minutes on the residue. Then try scraping.

Mineral spirits is "Natures Solvent"

It dissipates pretty fast off hardwoods.

Old 10-29-03, 05:17 PM
ElaineS
Visiting Guest
"Crumbles off.?? It was solid !!

Actually, I did find something called "Goof Off 2", which is water based, recommended by a guy at Lowe's. Comes in a spray bottle. I went through 4 bottles. It looks like it comes in a gallon can, but it is not the same stuff. It did work, but needed a LOT of scraping, even though you needed to keep spraying as it soaks in. Comes off in the consistancy of wet sand. I went through 5
plastic paint scrapers. Took the edge right off after a few hours of scraping. My husband "helped", but left it on too long, and kinda took some of the varnish off the floor. We put an area rug on that part. Towards the end, I just took a razor scraper (used for scraping paint off windows) and just didn't go all the way to the floor, and then used the spray, and it seemed to work better, once you took the top layer off. Boy, I hope I never have to do that again....next time will try the mineral spirits.

Thanks for your help
ElaineS

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: