Creating an entrance way....questions

Old 10-19-03, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creating an entrance way....questions

My front door opens into our living room and when the new carpet was laid over the hardwood floors just before we purchased the house (3 years ago) it was put right up to the door.

I want to have a semi-circle of the hardwood floor exposed by the door thus to create an entrance area and do as much of this myself. I understand that I'll need a flooring professional to come out and stretch the carpet and install the threshold but my question is:

What is the best way to approach this - just go ahead and cut the area out I want? Will it ruin the carpet being off of it's tack down or cause ripples that wont's be able to be fixed? Should I refinish the wood floor first (assuming it may need refinished - I don't know I have never seen these ones!) or should I have the threshold installed then do the floor. Any idea what it may cost for a professional to stretch and install this? It will be approx. 36" semi circle.

Thanks,

Martin

Last edited by martin_30; 10-20-03 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-21-03, 06:29 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
Dont cut the carpet untill install, you dont want to live on ripples. Are you going to have a 45 degree angle? Thresholds dont bend, so I am confused on how you will deal with this issue. Minimum charges are relatively small, probably 50 bucks to restretch is ok. This should be an easy job, and a smart idea for wood and not carpet in the entry (blech)

Old 10-22-03, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They don't bend? My last house had a semi circle between the carpet and the wood entry with the curved threshold. Perhaps I am using the wrong term - it was a piece of metal that the carpet was tacked in to and installed on the floor. The piece of metal was of the same height as the carpet. Please let me know any further thoughts.

Martin

Old 10-22-03, 08:26 PM
Harry M
Visiting Guest
Sounds like you want to take the swing of the door as your entry way . I would leave it up to the carpet installer to cut it out and put a piece of freeform metal and install . The metal will protect the edge of the carpet . Stain and urethane after. All installers charge accordingly $50.00 is not sufficient for me .

Old 10-23-03, 02:50 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
You could use a bendable threshold, I was thinking, that if you have a transition from wood to carpet, you would want a nicer transition than silver or brass. But it is possible. There is even rubber transitions that can be used too.
50.00 is the going rate around here, but it is true, it varies depending on who it is, and where in the U.S. you are.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: