Pets and Carpet Design/Cut

Old 10-26-03, 03:11 PM
rlrcstrs
Visiting Guest
Pets and Carpet Design/Cut

Now that I have learned nylon is my best bet, I;d like to ask about the design or cut of the carpet. So far I have seen retro shag (yuck!), frieze, plush and cut loop and berber.

I think berber is out because the cats will fuzz it up. I don't like th eretro shag because the strands are too long and it will be a haven for dust and dirt. Same thing with frieze, I think. Plush is OK - so traditional, though. The cut loop seems to be a happy medium all around because I like berber but it is out because of the cats' claws.

I want to get a medium quality carpet with good warranty. I don't want the best carpet because of the pets and because I plan to sell my condo within 2-3 years anyway.

Would you agree that cut loop would be the best with pets - or would I be better with your typical short pile, dense plush.

Old 10-26-03, 03:21 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A frieze is less likely to snag like a cut and loop type pile. It also shows traffic areas slower than most other carpets.

Old 10-26-03, 04:32 PM
rlrcstrs
Visiting Guest
Frieze Carpet

Originally posted by Daniel Wachtel
A frieze is less likely to snag like a cut and loop type pile. It also shows traffic areas slower than most other carpets.
Is it possible to get a dense, low pile frieze carpet? I had a hard time finding such a thing as all the friezes I saw looked more like shag - which would be terrible with cats as the hair would get woven way down in the strands.

Old 10-26-03, 04:49 PM
Harry M
Visiting Guest
The retro shag (cable yarn ) , Frieze these are some of your best wearing carpet around the twist is so impotant on buying a opiece of yarn. Example take a look at the old shags been around forever . This is what the cable yarn has to offer , denier. The frieze also has a great twist per inch on it , this is what give carpet its resiliency springback to take or hold its shape of the yarn. A cheap yarn however when observing it will have a 3 twist counting from the backing to the tip. Plushes wear out to quik for me and belongs in formal settings. I know your hooked on the cut loop and twist sometimes this makes it extremely hard to get hair out when vacuuming. I just offer advice but to each his own . Vacuuming carpet is the key to wear. As long as you vacuum at least twice a week you should be fine with any .

Old 10-26-03, 11:13 PM
LisaCea
Visiting Guest
I have four cats , an 8 year old well made berber and no snags.
You get what you pay for.

Old 10-27-03, 05:28 AM
rlrcstrs
Visiting Guest
Cats and Berber

Originally posted by LisaCea
I have four cats , an 8 year old well made berber and no snags.
You get what you pay for.
I bet yours are declawed in the front, though. I have some that are declawed and some that are not. The ones that are not I sometimes see kneading the carpet - i.e. pulling at it with their claws!!!

Old 10-27-03, 05:31 AM
rlrcstrs
Visiting Guest
Type of Carpet and Vacuuming

Originally posted by Harry M
I know your hooked on the cut loop and twist sometimes this makes it extremely hard to get hair out when vacuuming. I just offer advice but to each his own . Vacuuming carpet is the key to wear. As long as you vacuum at least twice a week you should be fine with any .
Just to be sure I understand - are you saying that the cut loop and twist makes for difficulty getting the carpet clean when vacuuming?

Old 10-27-03, 08:17 AM
LisaCea
Visiting Guest
My cats are not declawed. I had a small dog too up until a year ago.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: