Repairing Squeaky Floor

Old 10-30-03, 07:44 AM
kcchief01
Visiting Guest
Repairing Squeaky Floor

My floor has become really squeaky over the past few years and I'm wondering how I can repair this without pulling up my carpet. Is there a way that I can get this fix, or am I out of luck and need to have someone come in and pull up my carpet to get to the underlayment, fix the squeaks, and then put my carpet back.

Thanks for any advice!

Eric

Old 11-03-03, 12:29 AM
ChuckCoffer
Visiting Guest
Eight penny casing nails can be driven directly through the carpet and into the flooring joists. This is not an ideal way to correct subfloor movement,but it will work in a pinch. The trick is finding a starting point(joist). First thing is to go to the basement. If you can look up and see the joists,then all you have to do is use a tape measure to find their position and direction. If that is not possible, keep in mind that your floor joists will run parallell to your rafters(roof timbers run from low point to high point). Once you find one,you can use a tape measure to find the rest. They will be spaced either 16" on center (the red marks)or 19.2" on center.(Those are marked on most tapes with a little diamond shape). Some older homes are framed 12" on center.

Old 11-03-03, 06:47 AM
kcchief01
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I actually found a post in another forum talking about this same thing. They mentioned a product called Squeek No More that will allow you to drive a square head screw into the joist and then snap it off level w/the subfloor. They said it worked great, so I went ahead and ordered the kit.

I guess I'll see how it works!

Thanks again for the post!
Eric

Old 11-03-03, 02:49 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It will work if you do not have berber carpet. If you do it can snag a row and pull it out. Big mess.

Old 11-03-03, 02:56 PM
kcchief01
Visiting Guest
I do not have Berber, but thanks for the information. It could come in handy someday!

Eric

Old 11-03-03, 08:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Spread the face yarn, so it doesn't get pulled down with the screw, or it will look like a small hole.

After the first one jump on it, with your bare feet, and tell us if you can feel it?

Becareful not to snap it off with the torque of the drill, before it is seated!!

Old 11-04-03, 07:17 PM
ChuckCoffer
Visiting Guest
I find a nail to be less disruptive to the suface yarn that a screwdriver bit plunged through the material.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: