Installing stair runner over carpet

Old 11-06-03, 04:21 PM
21Sandy
Visiting Guest
Question Installing stair runner over carpet

Howdy folks!

I recently had new BLACK (yes black) carpet installed with thick padding in my basement over solid wood stairs. The stairway from the basement to the main floor is my main way of getting in and out of the house. Very high traffice area- so I bought a thin stair runner to protect the new carpet beneath (I already see wear on the new carpet and it's only been a couple of months)

2 Questions:

1) Do I just take a hammer and some nails and nail it in place?

2) What are those decorative strips I have seen on the inset of the stairs? Do they also act as a way of securing runners?

I started to nail the carpet and it just seemed too loose. (Only did 2 treads). I also don't need nails popping out over time........where do Inail?

Someone help this dummy!

Thanks
Someone help this dummy!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-03, 05:28 PM
Harry M
Visiting Guest
To make it easy for you . Is the backing on the runner soft or abrasive . If it is abrasive you are asking for trouble. If not you should rent a electric staple gun and a kicker . You can stretch your stair and get it tight by using any part of your body , you are comfortable with. All you need to acquire is a quarter in stretch . To make it easy for yourself staple into the wood on the riser only do not staple under the nose. Make it look boxed.

Last edited by Harry M; 11-06-03 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-06-03, 07:36 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
The rods you were thinking you saw are called oddly enough (stair rods)
www.zoroufy.com will help you see whats available, but you have to screw them in (totally ruining the carpet below.

Old 11-06-03, 07:49 PM
21Sandy
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys!!!!! Whenever I want to do something myself I ALWAYS NEED TOOLS I DON'T HAVE.... That's what good neighbors are for. And thanks for the name of them stair thingy's!! That was driving me nuts - I knew it wasn't a fancy name but couldn't think of it.