Carpet too short

Old 11-22-03, 09:56 AM
MrsH98
Visiting Guest
Angry Carpet too short

We are in the process of redoing our daughter's bedroom (she's off at college) and bought new carpeting. The carpet was cut about 2 inches short at a corner, which also makes it too short on part of one wall - for about a foot & 1/2. Can a power stretcher help get this carpet to fit on the tackstrips or are we SOL?

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Old 11-22-03, 10:27 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello: MrsH98

I found your question in a non interactive forum. There you would not have been able to obtain a reply because replies cannot be posted in non interactive topics.

Moving your question into this forum topic pertaining to carpeting, one of the professional moderators in the carpeting trade will be able to provide you with expert advice and helpful suggestions.

Old 11-23-03, 02:45 PM
eJM
Visiting Guest
A power stretcher might be able to stretch 2" -- if the carpet were flexible enough and the room big enough. Unfortunately, the average carpet and the average bedroom does not fit this criteria.

If the carpet store cut the carpet crooked or too short, return it (or have them pick it up) and request a piece the correct size. I always cut my material 3" over-size to allow for trimming and out of square walls.

You can also seam a piece on to make it bigger. You will have to re-cut the edge the seam will be on (row cutting is the professional way, but you can also use a straight edge guide from the back as long as the carpet is not a loop pile). The carpet should be cut back enough to keep the seam tape off the tackless as much as possible, or it will be very difficult to attach to the tackless and tuck.

Good luck,

JM

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: