Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Rugs, Carpets and Carpeting
Reload this Page >

getting berber with padding how many inches off the cement floor do i put my moulding

getting berber with padding how many inches off the cement floor do i put my moulding

Old 11-28-03, 08:32 AM
C
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im refinishing my basement. I plan on carpeting it with a berber and padding. How many inches off the floor should my moulding be?

Old 11-28-03, 09:11 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
no more than 1/2 "off the floor.If this is a thinner berber then go 3/8. Put it on, cualk ,and first coat then you can finish it after carpet goes in,cause it will eat up the paint a little

Last edited by floorman; 11-28-03 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-29-03, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slightly less then the carpet thickness always works and looks best for me.

Old 12-01-03, 04:36 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not just install the moulding after the carpet is installed? This way, you can seat it properly and avoid the need for paint touch-ups after the installers are done doing their thing. Just a thought.

Old 12-01-03, 05:44 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
I feel the same way, and that is how I would do it, but some people brought up a good point as to why not.
if there is no molding, some DIY's would put the tackstrip too close to the wall, then install the molding over the cpt and tackstrip "pinching" the two together. Making it a difficult removal down the road.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: