Removing paint

Old 11-28-03, 03:56 PM
status
Visiting Guest
Removing paint

It is not actually paint, but that stuff you use to stain wood trim a certain color. It has been spilled. Misc. drops here and there.

I tried using bleach and it removed a lot of it but it also bleached the beige carpet this ugly orange color. Questions:

How do I remove the remains of that tarnish and secondly, is it possible to stain the carpet back to its original color?

The carpet is new.

Old 11-28-03, 04:05 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Don't put any more bleach on the carpet. The orange spots are bleach damage , you can fix it with a kit from www.bleachstain.com . For the rest of the wood stain try mineral spirits.

Old 11-28-03, 04:09 PM
status
Visiting Guest
Thanks for reply.

What is "mineral spirits"?

Old 11-29-03, 06:55 AM
D
It is a solvent, in the paint section of any store. It won't harm the carpet.

Old 11-29-03, 06:25 PM
It won't harm the carpet.

If used in moderation. Don't soak the carpet with it.

Mineral spirits may effect the bleach-stain.com chemicals.

I say patching or replacing is going to be your true solution.

Old 11-30-03, 05:09 PM
status
Visiting Guest
Patching is not an option because the string of drops is about 8' long across the room, it is not a single big spill.

Old 11-30-03, 05:21 PM
D
The carpet is new. Now I had not considered this before. How big is the room? How much did the carpet cost? What is the deductable on your homeowners? I'm not looking for the answers, just wondering if it is worth turning in on your homeowners insurance. Also consider the cost of the bleachstain kit, it ain't cheap. Many people pay into their homeowners policy and never use it for fear it will increase, it will increase anyhow use it or not. I'd look into it. You don't really want a string of patches or stains on new carpet. This is an option to recoup the cost, or part of the cost , of replacement carpet.

Old 11-30-03, 05:38 PM
status
Visiting Guest
Let me contemplate some of these questions. From what I know, the carpet was close to $1,000 and it is new. I am not sure what did more damage to it, paint or bleach. Probably the latter.

Does this bleachstain.com stuff really works? If it does, it is worthwhile, and if not, it is useless. It runs about $60 for a "deluxe kit", anyone have experiences with it?

Old 11-30-03, 06:49 PM
D
They usually won't question what caused more damage. Try to turn it in. The worst they can say is no. Besides your deductable has to be less than a grand.

Patching is still an option, on new carpet it can be near unnoticable if the right person patches it.. I've had to put a dozon or so patches in one room for a customer, also bleach stains. It looked good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: