carpet pad removal mess

Old 01-29-04, 12:17 PM
msfixit
Visiting Guest
carpet pad removal mess

hi can anyone help,
i am trying to remove awall to wall rug in my living room and it has been down ther 13 +years .
the padding is stuck to the hardwood floor , it is 2 layer meshnetted, when i pull up the pads it breaks and sticks in diffrent layers to the hardwood floor . is there a chemical or proceedure i can use to make this job easier...?
any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-29-04, 05:31 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can rent a floor scraper machine at most any tool rental.

http://www.installertools.com/uploads/05_700b.jpg

Copy and paste this adderss to your browser's address bar to see what the tool you need looks like.

Last edited by Daniel Wachtel; 01-29-04 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-31-04, 09:21 AM
msfixit
Visiting Guest
thanks, i found out using a prosteam machine worked well the steam pressure made lifting the padding off much easier but the glue disolved and the floor is a bit of a mess with white blotch spots were the stuck padding was. and the padding was stapled every so many feet so now i have to figure out how to get them out ..is there any type of staple removing tool for carpet staples?

Old 02-01-04, 01:22 PM
LisaCea
Visiting Guest
Yes

A flathead screwdriver and a strong back......

....and the customers/retailers wonder why the pros charge to rip out old carpet......

DO NOT use any chemical on his floor is you plan to restore it or glue anything to it. The steam is probably not a good idea either.

Get a razor scraper and use that along with the screwdriver to pop the staples

Old 02-01-04, 03:36 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For some reason I see red rubber waffle pad that has half decomposed and adhered itself to the floor. If that is what it is it will be a bunch of work to get it off the floor.

Razor scraper and leather gloves. If it is the rubber waffle pad it will stop an electric floor scraper dead in its tracks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: