carpet stairs

Old 02-08-04, 10:00 AM
donnamorse
Visiting Guest
carpet stairs

We are replacing the carpet on our stairs with a runner type carpet (bound on the edges). We took off the old carpet and saw how it was stapled on, is this basically how you would do a runner also? The nap on the runner is real low and we think the staples will show. Any suggestions?

Old 02-09-04, 04:58 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are going to use pad, i would suggest tackless strips. one on the tread 1" from the riser and one on the riser 1/4" from the tread. Make them 2" shorter than the runner is wide so the runner will overhang each side by 1", same with the pad. You will need a carpet kicker to make the carpet tight and a hammer and stair tool to drive the carpet into the gulley between the two pieces of tackstrip.

Old 02-19-04, 10:50 PM
Daucsset
Visiting Guest
Hi,
I did the samething. Removed the carpet off the stairs and then I stripped them (painted). If the runner type carpet you are talking about is like the one that I installed you will only have to staple or tack at the top and the bottom of the stairs. For each tread I installed those brass rods that hold the carpet where the riser and the tread meet. You can get them at any Home Improvement store or online. At the top I made a peice of oak trim to go over the carpet where I attached to the riser so that the staples don't show. At the bottom I stapled it to the underside of the tread. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: