Carpet coming apart between rooms..

Old 02-20-04, 11:25 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carpet coming apart between rooms..

The carpet in my house is coming apart between rooms where two pieces of carpet have been joined together. My 18 month old son is starting to pull at the carpet that's coming up so now there are small "strings" emerging from the unjoined pieces. When I lived in an apartment I saw carpet workers take a piece of carpet and some type of glue and glue the two pieces together by placing what looked like a hot iron on the carpet. What is this glue they used and the thing that looked like an iron?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-20-04, 01:37 PM
D
You can fix it by trimming off the strings with scissors. Where it is coming off the tape you can use a hot glue gun and shoot some hot glue between the carpet and the tape. be careful not to shoot too much hot glue in there so you don't have "squeeze out".

Old 02-24-04, 10:49 AM
C
Thanks for the reply. I'll try that....

Old 02-25-04, 07:02 PM
Sounds to me like the installers cut corners during the installation.
They weren't making enough money to even try to seam seal the seams. They low bid it to get the work. They cut corners to make any money, at that low bid.

If the seam is delaminateing, topical hotmelt is going to look like doggy do, and leave a hard spot or ridge.

It may be best to completely open the seam, then removing the seam tape from the carpet backing. Use carpet latex to repair the delaminated areas, and left to completely dry overnite.
Recut the seam, seam seal the edges with latex or hotmelt, and construct the seam again, using seam tape and a seam iron, over a hard surface or called a seam board.

Old 02-26-04, 11:26 AM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
I agree with perry, hot glue will cause problems like he mentioned.

Old 02-26-04, 11:31 AM
C
The carpet has been in there for about 15 years. It still looks good, just a little worn. Since it's been like that for a while there is about a 3-4 inch gap between where it was once joined. I was going to try to get a patch of carpet that matched and hot glue it between the gap. Will that not work?

Old 02-27-04, 06:41 PM
Harry M
Visiting Guest
Think you should consider a wood threshold. It would look better than any patch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: