carpet

Old 03-02-04, 11:55 AM
timntrish
Visiting Guest
carpet

How do I get candle wax out of my carpet? Thank you!

Trish

Old 03-02-04, 02:18 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
use a brown paper bag, and heat up an iron to somewhat hot, put the bag over the wax and place the iron on the bag. DO NOT TOUCH THE CARPET WITH THE IRON. the bag will allow the wax to wick up, keep using fresh bags to wick up the wax.

before you do any of this, you want to try to scrape up as much wax as you can with a spoon after you place some ice on it to harden the wax.

good luck

Old 03-02-04, 06:41 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Candle + carpet

Excess wax can be hardened with ice cubes in baggie and scraped up with spoon or dull knife. Residue can be removed with a mild household solvent like rubbing alcohol or one that is stronger like dry cleaning fluid or denatured alcohol. Blot from outside stain toward middle to prevent spreading.

Although the warm iron method is frequently recommended, many forum posts report that the heat of the iron tends to drive wax deeper into fibers and set colored dyes of colored candles. Thus, proceed with caution if using warm iron method.

Old 03-03-04, 05:35 PM
Harry M
Visiting Guest
Twelvepole is right the carpet and paper bag is good for seam tape but candle wax is a little different. Sometimes it is not to good to give the brownbag and iron trick specifically if the carpet is olefin. It can make it worse .

Old 03-03-04, 05:52 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
I would agree an olefin might not be the best, but I will say, that as of today, all the major manufacturers of carpet, and manufacturers of nylon list this technique #1.

Old 03-07-04, 07:43 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Candle wax on carpet

If in doubt about candle wax removal on carpet, go to www.carpet-rug.com. Hardening with ice and removing excess by scraping and then vacuuming tends to be the pro way to go.
Residues can be blotted with rubbing alcohol ( mildest household solvent available in most households). Other solvents such as denatured alcohol or dry cleaning solvent can be blotted up with white rag and solvent cleaner. Use of heat and paper bag or towel removal with warm iron has resultedin forum complants of melted carpet and setting of colored dyes in carpet due to heat from iron method.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: