Carpeting stairs w/ false treadcaps

Old 03-03-04, 05:49 PM
jadefire
Visiting Guest
Carpeting stairs w/ false treadcaps

I have false endcaps on my stair treads and need to install the carpet in between. I've had 2 different installation companies tell me that the endcaps are too high and/or the carpet pile is to low. The endcaps are 3/4" in height. I've heard that normally, they are only 1/2" in height. Both installers suggested adding 1/4" plywood to the treads to raise them up, but I'm concerned if this will cause problems in the future (two of my treads are not even to start with - they have slightly raised sections). Will this work? Are there other options? Should I make the builder completely redo the endcaps with 1/2" ones? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 03-03-04, 06:31 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The plywood trick will work, but not great. Have the builder lose the end caps, they are cheesey looking in my opinion (please forgive me) and carpet just does not finish well by them. The nosing of the caps will stick out past the carpet.

Old 03-07-04, 08:49 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stairs

Solid wood treads and risers tend to be the standrad. Laying treads and risers with fooring and stairnose tends to be a frequent occurrence, but it does not produce professsional results.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: