Carpet stairs

Old 03-17-04, 10:06 AM
dohagan
Visiting Guest
Question Carpet stairs

Hi all,

I have one stair that the carpet has started to fray on and I need to fix it. I am going to take the carpet up from the bottom landing to match in with the rest of the stairs and put the closest match I could find on the landing.
The stair is on the turn and so is at an angle. Each stair is individually carpeted, so my work shouldn't affect any of the other stairs.

I have bought tack strips, tacks, a knife, underlayment and a remnant to fix the landing with. I feel fairly confident about being able to do it, I just haven't carpeted before.

Does anyone have any tips, caveats, advice for me on doing this before I start? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

~D~

Old 03-18-04, 04:40 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As you discect the step pay close attention to how it was put together and repeat in reverse.

Old 03-19-04, 12:48 PM
dohagan
Visiting Guest
Smile What I found...

Well, I did it (thanks for the advice, Dan) and I did find a few things that may be of interest to others of little experience like me.

1. (found out the hard way). If you are using the lifted carpet as a template for cutting the replacement piece, don't put them back to back for marking purposes. The piece you then cut will only fit if you put it down upside down.

2. My most valuable tool was a heavy duty stapler. Great for attaching the edge under the protruding stair edge.

3. Vacuum before you start. I read that somewhere else, but it is quite true. You are going to get a lot of dirt anyway, but every little helps.

4. be very careful when cutting the carpet in place for final edging. It is very easy to cut too much without knowing.

5. Use a very, very, sharp knife. Replace blades constantly.

Can't think of anything else. Good luck to all.

~D~

Old 04-19-04, 11:29 AM
Peter Poon
Visiting Guest
Carpeting Stairs

Hi,

This is great that you are sharing your experience with us.

I am thinking of doing just that, and this will be my first time too, plus I am going to do the whole stair including one landing. I have one question. Did you stretch the carpet? If not, are you having problem now?

Thanks.

Old 04-29-04, 02:44 PM
dohagan
Visiting Guest
Hi Peter,

No, I didn't strech the carpet, apart from as much as I could with my hands. I was a little concerned doing it that way, but it worked ok. The carpet is a little looser than the rest of the stairs, but it doesn't wrinkle and looks fine. I assume that it is because it is such a small area. If I were carpeting anything bigger though, I think I would seriously look at getting a knee kicker.

~D~

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: