Realistic Price for Installing Berber Carpet

Old 03-22-04, 12:49 PM
gunn8181
Visiting Guest
Realistic Price for Installing Berber Carpet

All,

I'm currently finishing my basement, and I'm to the point where I need to have carpet installed. What is a realistic price to pay (carpet, installation, pad) for a 23'x10' room and 12 steps? Based on my calculations, it looks like I need about 29 square yards of carpet.

FYI - Just for fun I went to Home Depot (wife liked certain style of carpet there) and they wanted to charge me close to $1,000, even though the Berber carpet was going for $2.20/sq.ft.??

Any input/recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 03-22-04, 03:14 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're looking at a 12x29 piece of carpet, plus installation, on concrete, it's about right.

Old 03-23-04, 08:39 AM
LisaCea
Visiting Guest
Thta's about right, but I'd look into the training and certification of HD installers if I were you.

What makes a "HD Qualified installer" ? He has the lowest price and can breathe.

Old 03-27-04, 07:42 PM
Bob Villa
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a decent price.

Old 03-29-04, 09:56 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Berber

If you are looking for quality, you will not find it within the $2.99/SF price range. Berber is a type of weave and retailers who pass off quality under the name of weave are misleading you. If you are looking for something cheap, then you found it. Quality and durability tend to exceed this price range product.

Do not have big expectations from such low price products. Most retailers push olefin berbers. They tend not to show nylon or wool berbers because price points will tend to turn off shoppers looking for low price point. If they have the product they priced you in their warehouse, then they pushing something that they got at such a low price that they could sell to you at $2.20/SF.

I don't want to insult you or affect your self-esteem. You need to shop around some more to find out how much the real world charges and find out more about fiber, weaves, quality, resilience, and warranties. Don't be an impulse shopper. B ecome an informed shopper.

If you are like the rest of us poor working Americans, you want a floor covering you don't have to think about for 15-20 years. As reps don't understand the difference between weaves and fibers, you may have been duped. On the other hand, if you don't care about price point and quality, you will have a product that will have to be replaced very soon.

Old 03-31-04, 07:15 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twelvepole, $2.20 per S/F is near $20.00 per sq/yd. It can be a pretty good piece of rug for that.

Old 04-01-04, 02:22 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oops! I thought it was $2.00 /SY. It makes better sense. Thanks for pointing out my error. $20.00/SY should be pretty good carpet. Sorry, gunn.

In that event, I'd say you were getting a pretty good deal on the installation. Of course, installation costs vary from area to area. Some installers tend to charge more for berber than plush installations. Too, some charge so much per stair step, depending on how involved the stair installation is. Make sure they warranty the installation and report any problems ASAP and before the warranty is up.

Old 04-03-04, 07:58 PM
MatthewZD
Visiting Guest
I actually work for a carpet manufacturer as a sales rep in our Home Depot sales team. I've done competitive shops in my area and Home Depot's prices are extremely competitive. I've seen my company's product in specialty stores at about 150% the HD price.

Gunn8181, if you'd like to PM me the style name of the carpet your wife liked, I'd be happy to give you my honest opinion on it.

Old 04-07-04, 07:21 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
hey Matthew, how come if you look at the back of the samples at Home Depot, they will put a max wear rating on a 60 oz Polyester carpet?
Where would a 60 oz Anso Nylon be? Off the charts?
Arent those wear ratings specified by the Depot?
I know they private label, so anything can go on it.
Isn't the wear ratings only for comparing carpets THEY sell?

I hope you know......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: