Type of carpet for hard use?

Old 04-01-04, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type of carpet for hard use?

I am in the process of restoring (rebuilding?) an old farmhouse. We are now ready to consider floor coverings and have decided that carpeting would probably be best for most of the house. The problem now is what type of carpet to use. It must withstand hard use---lots of traffic with muddy boots and two dogs with big paws. We would like to use berber, but have ruled it out because the dogs' paws would catch in the loops and have the threads pulled out in no time. We are now considering a tight-loop commercial carpet that might withstand scratching and rough use. Has anyone had experience with this situation? Any recommendations? Helpful advice would be appreciated.

Old 04-01-04, 10:55 AM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
you will need a carpet that is durable like a berber, but does not have loops.
so look for a low pile high quality frieze carpet.
then, you need stain and soil protection, so call a carpetone store and schedule a time to go in and look at Lee's carpet.

Old 04-04-04, 01:07 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Durable carpet

A quality commercial carpet without loops would tend to provide the most durability. Next time you are out and about at restaurants and stores, check out what they have installed. There are many beautiful commercial carpet products than can hold up to heavy traffic.

With dogs, loops should be avoided. With lots of mud and tracking, any type of floor covering will be high maintenance. Perhaps a mud room or area for boots and wiping dogs' paws before returning indoors would keep mud to a minimum.

Old 04-07-04, 07:17 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
There are commercial carpets that have a no zipper technology. In other words, no runs!

Krause carpets is one of them.

Old 04-08-04, 06:15 PM
Harry M
Visiting Guest
What I would recommend is a nice water resistant olefin. The fiber is almost and is a fribulated fiber which is more in a outdoor type of grass carpet . Looks like berber or other type products suitable for your needs.

Old 04-08-04, 07:14 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
an olefin would be unacceptable for a high traffic area.
unless you compare a 35 oz nylon with a 70 oz olefin.

Old 04-08-04, 08:06 PM
Harry M
Visiting Guest
This olefin I am speaking about is almost the look off a berber. It does not have to be beef up cause of its resiliency. We put this excellent cleaning product in locker rooms of workout facilities.

Old 04-09-04, 12:00 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
probably a cut pile berber, and I do not doubt the cleanability is awesome cause Olefin is a non porous fiber. But I cannot imagine a nylon of the same manufacturing wouldn't last alot longer.
any chance of finding out the manufacturer and style of the carpet you are refering to?

Old 04-09-04, 08:50 PM
Harry M
Visiting Guest
Ill try to find out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: