carpeting stairs

Old 04-02-04, 08:56 AM
glaziol
Visiting Guest
carpeting stairs

We are having berber installed in our staircase. It is straightforward wall to wall on both sides (8 steps). We are using the "waterfall" style.

The installers are cutting each step separately rather than installing one piece for all 8 steps.

Which way is better? Install each step separately or all in one piece - better for durability and/or in case need repair

Also, should the steps be tacked/glued at each (left and right)?

Thanks!

Old 04-04-04, 01:02 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stairs

Waterfall method covers each tread and riser with a single piece of carpet. This may be more attractive because the carpet is all one piece, but it does not allow for using waste pieces, so waterfall installation may be more expensive from the standpoint of needing more carpet.

Cap and band method covers each tread with a separate piece and another piece covers the riser. The “cap” is the piece covering the tread and the “band” is the piece covering the riser.

Neither method has anything to do with quality of materials used or their durability. From the standpoint of replace or repair of an individual step, the cap and band method would allow for replacement on a single tread or riser if you have left over material.

Depending on type of carpet and if using pad will determine whether carpet will be tacked or glued.

Old 04-19-04, 11:09 AM
Peter Poon
Visiting Guest
Recarpeting Staircase

Hi,

I am thinking of recarpeting the staircase as well, and I wanted to do it myself. Do we still need to stretch the carpet in this case? If I am using smaller pieces as in the case of cap and brand, I suppose it is not possible to stretch the carpet. Can I install without underpad? I have no problem of walking barefooted on a hard surface.

Thanks.

Old 04-19-04, 10:07 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carpeting stairs

A Knee Kicker can be used to install carpet on stairs. Padding or cushion tends to keep carpet looking newer longer as it cushions the carpet and tends to help minimize wear.

Old 04-22-04, 09:50 AM
Peter Poon
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advise.

BTW is there pre-stretched carpet in the market? I am living in the Greater Toronto area in Southern Ontario.

Thanks once again.

Old 04-22-04, 05:20 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
No,no prestretched carpet that i'm aware of.You need to kick the stairs on to get them tight so they don't wrinkle and look like crap.Also a stair tool would help and a mallet to caulk them in and make the creases and get it on the tack strip

Old 04-24-04, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Prestretched carpet...

That was classic!!

Is that like prewashed jeans?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: