Carpet type?

Old 04-16-04, 06:47 PM
ECC96
Visiting Guest
Carpet type?

Hello,
We have a townhouse -- the basement is where I have my home office set up. I also get to share it with our two cats. I want to replace the carpet b/c the cats urinated on it multiple times (didn't adjust well). I think the previous owner had pet(s) too, so, despite my cleanings, powders, etc. the smells seem permanent. Which basic carpet type would you recommend I put in so that the litter box/cat/pet smell won't be a player. I was thinking of something stain resistant (Stainmaster) and Berber, but not sure if that would be what I need. The room is about 18 x 15.
Thanks for any advice.
Cheers,
ECC96

Old 04-17-04, 07:20 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
i would say to put down a glue down short pile,maybe a level loop carpet with no pad.Alot of the problem with the stretch in method is the urine gets into the pad and cannot be removed by steam cleaning the carpet layer on top.This way there is no pad and you can get to the cause of the problem more easily this way.

Oh yea,is there a naccess to the outside or one wall where this is happeneing?If there is a door or a wall in particular where they are urinating the cause may be a stray cat on the outside marking out the door or window and the cats are trying to protect their area by marking the door or wall area to keep this animal out.Try taking some of the clumps the next time you scoop the box and throwing them ouotside where the cats are going and see of this don't help.Thety also have some quite sophisticated sprays and treatments out to help with this problem as well try pet smart or petco or what ever is near you it is called feliway expensive but it works white vinigar too helps but then you are left with the smell of vinigar,small price to pay i guess,hope this helps

Old 04-19-04, 01:11 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Urine

Existing carpet can be removed. Cleaning existing carpet will pose a problem because a problem because you can clean and disinfedt carpet, but you can not clean padding and subfloor. Remofal of existing carpet will require cleaning and sealing of subfloor to eliminate urine odor before installation of new floor covering.

Most forum posters tend to report that they have the most success with tile with pets. Easy cleanup. Keep grout sealed and keep tile clean. Pet urine problems tend to be eliminated with a solid surface covering like tile with sealed joints and/or vinyl sheet floort covering.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: