Would Plastic Under Carpet Work?

Old 04-27-04, 02:06 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would Plastic Under Carpet Work?

Hey Everyone.... I looked back through the postings and didn't find any info on this question. I have 2 older dogs that sometimes can't control their urine flow. The carpet in my one room smells very badly, especially with spring bringing warmer days. Its quite embarrasing. Anyway, I want to replace the carpet but can't (sometimes unfortunately ) replace the dogs. So, I know they're going to have accidents again!

I know most of the urine ends up in the padding, which is why its so difficult to clean. My idea is to put padding down, but then to put a plastic sheet over the padding but under the carpet. This way, if the dog went, hopefully I could at least suck up most of the smell (or steam clean). It would not be able to soak down into the padding and subfloor.

Sounds like a simple idea but I've never heard of it done before so I'm thinking maybe there is a good reason (i.e. ventilation??). So I figure who better to ask then the pros in the forum?

Thanks for any advise you can offer for my large (for me at least) dillemma. And by the way, I realize tile/vinyl/etc would be good for some instances, but style (really don't want linoleum in my living room) and money don't allow that at this point.

Old 04-27-04, 06:39 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
Well, the best way is to buy a pad with a low absorbtion rate, or a rebond with a moisture barrier. regular plastic may bunch up and crackle over time, like your walking on a mattress with that plastic protector for little ones that have accidents.

Old 04-28-04, 08:13 AM
P
hmmm, never really thought of the crinkly thing... That's probably true. What is rebond though? A different kind of carpet? I never really saw different types of padding other then that multicolored type that looks patched together. Guess I could investigate to see if I could find a different type. Thanks for the insight!

Old 04-28-04, 09:37 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't really have much to add, but thought maybe you should post in the pets area and see what they have to say there.
I would think the plastic under the carpet would be a good idea, but......would it cause a moisture barrier and therefore create a mold problem in the padding? What happens if you do have someone steam clean your carpet and the water temp is hot enough to melt the plastic?
I would talk to your local carpet retailer and see about the rebound with a moisture barrier.
If you are going to put down new carpet and padding; what is the possibility of getting a carpet with a good "Scottsguard" like coating?
Of course, if you are going to all this expense. Maybe a nice wood floor with area rugs would work for now.

Seems there would be a way around this problem. What are your plans? Replace everything or were you going to just pull the carpet up, place the plastic and relay the same carpet?

Old 04-28-04, 09:57 AM
brian5
Visiting Guest
6lb rebond w/ moisture barrier

The Home Depot in my area has a 6lb rebond pad sandwiched between a top moisture barrier and a bottom mildew-resistant layer. They do not carry it in the store, however, it's only available with their install program. It's advertised to protect against pet stains, so it may be worth checking it out.

Brian
DIYer, Maryland

Old 04-29-04, 01:00 PM
P
You are right, definetely worth looking into. My house is 200 years old so it has the original plank floors. I will someday go back to them but they will take a lot of sanding and finishing. For now am replacing the carpet and padding and that other type of padding sounds like a great idea!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: