HELP with carpeting

Old 06-23-04, 03:58 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HELP with carpeting

I was wondering if anyone here knows of any good company to go with for carpeting. I'm a first time home buyer.. so i don't know much about it. If someone here can point me to the right place that would be great. I live in San Jose, California area. I need to recarpet the stairs and upstair bedrooms. Prefer to find one that has free estimates. thanks.

Old 06-23-04, 11:51 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Carpet selection

Go to the Carpet & Rug Institute's website to learn all about carpet and what type best meets your needs. www.carpet-rug.com

To locate a carpet dealer in your area, talk to friends and relatives and people at work for recommendations. Visit several area dealers to see the different brands and types of carpet and padding are available. Most dealers will send someone out to measure for how much carpet you will need and give you an estimate on carpet, padding, and installation.

Old 06-24-04, 11:16 AM
R
Originally Posted by twelvepole
Go to the Carpet & Rug Institute's website to learn all about carpet and what type best meets your needs. www.carpet-rug.com

To locate a carpet dealer in your area, talk to friends and relatives and people at work for recommendations. Visit several area dealers to see the different brands and types of carpet and padding are available. Most dealers will send someone out to measure for how much carpet you will need and give you an estimate on carpet, padding, and installation.
thank for the website. as for asking people around me.. i've done that. the thing is.. every one is either going all hardwood floor or their carpet was already newly replaced by the previous owner. therefore, i'm kinda stuck by myself

right now i'm leaning towards berber style. so any suggestion on how thick the padding should be? it's going to be on the stair way, hall way and in both rooms.

Old 06-24-04, 03:14 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
well, a nice slab rubber will help the carpet perform to the best ability. But do you need to spend all that money?
Berber does last a long time, but is it going to be too hard?

How long are you planning on being in this home?

www.carpetone.com

type in your zipcode to find a store near you.

you should have carpetone as one of the stores you ask for a free estimate.

3 estimates from 3 different stores will help.

make sure it's free.

Old 06-24-04, 03:31 PM
R
Originally Posted by florcraft
well, a nice slab rubber will help the carpet perform to the best ability. But do you need to spend all that money?
Berber does last a long time, but is it going to be too hard?

How long are you planning on being in this home?

www.carpetone.com

type in your zipcode to find a store near you.

you should have carpetone as one of the stores you ask for a free estimate.

3 estimates from 3 different stores will help.

make sure it's free.
thanks! that really helps. yeah i like berber, it's pretty nice and easy to maintain. it's going to be for the stairway and hallway, and the bedrooms. i don't like having long furry ones. plus it seems like the berber ones are pretty cheap. i like the even level loop berber. some of them feels firm, but soft too. i plan on staying there for about 10 yrs max... so berber would definitely be better than the shaggy flat rug i have now that is dirty and gross. the long fur doesn't even stand up anymore after a wash.. it's limp and flat! so might as well change it.

Old 06-24-04, 07:40 PM
If your going to go with a loop pile carpet, make sure it is 100% nylon, and not an Olefin or an Olefin blend!! It will mat quickly if you do get olefin.

Look at Shaws softbac as the backing. It will make the carpet feel even softer, combined with a 100% nylon.

Old 06-25-04, 01:33 AM
R
Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright
If your going to go with a loop pile carpet, make sure it is 100% nylon, and not an Olefin or an Olefin blend!! It will mat quickly if you do get olefin.

Look at Shaws softbac as the backing. It will make the carpet feel even softer, combined with a 100% nylon.
thanks for the tip... i'll be sure to look into the softbac. but what is a Olefin? is that some kind of Nylon wannabe material? cuz most berber i've seen all have nylon.. but haven't came across one that says it has olefin or olefin blend.

rui

Old 06-25-04, 06:05 PM
D
Here's my thought on this, there are many carpet stores out there, there are also few really qualified carpet installers. The most important day in the life of a carpet is the day it is installed. Go to www.cfiinstallers.com and type your zip code in the box to find a certified installer in your area and give him a call and inquire about his services and where to purchase carpet in your area.

Old 06-25-04, 06:28 PM
R
thanks daniel... a couple of the installers i've found from that link are within 50 miles. i'll give them a call and see if they are willing to do the work. first i need to get the estimated sq footage. any ideas on how they measure the stairs, room, etc...

Old 06-26-04, 01:08 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
Well, I measure each wall, then draw it to 1/4 scale like a blueprint. Then I figure how much 12 foot wide carpet I will need.
These installers or stores should provide the service for you.

Olefin is a naturally stain resistant fiber, but it will crush faster than Nylon.
Cheap Berber has a hard time lasting 10 years. Depends on the traffic you are going to give it.
No stairs are ever warrantied. They will be the first to go.

100% nylon.
or 100% wool (expensive)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: