Has anyone experienced with these companies???

Old 07-07-04, 12:20 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone experienced with these companies???

has anyone dealt or experienced with carpet purchase & installation from home depot, carpet one, or costco? i'm in the south bay of cali.. if there is someone you guys around this area would recommend.. i'm open to options. thanks~

Old 07-07-04, 01:28 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
I would recommend 3 stores that give FREE estimates to try to EARN your business. This cuts out HD, Lowes and Costco. The big box stores cannot compete with specialty stores anyway if your looking for the best quality.
Carpetone should be one of the stores you look at, and then 2 other specialty store's.

Old 07-07-04, 02:05 PM
R
thank you florcraft. i'll give carpetone a call. i tried some other stores.. but they didn't bother to show up for the estimate..

i wonder if carpetone offers group discounts.

Old 07-07-04, 02:22 PM
R
i remember you suggested going with 100% nylon for the berber carpet. however, most i find are either with Polypropylene or Tactesse. is that like nylon-like materials?

Old 07-07-04, 07:22 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
tactesse is a soft yarn from Dupont.
Olefin is like a poly, it's o.k. in a berber, but the Tactesse nylon will be softer and last longer.
and be more expensive of course.

group discount?
well, negotiate with the salesperson. But remember, a store needs to make money to be around for the warranty right?

Old 07-08-04, 08:44 AM
Rod Johnson
Visiting Guest
ruirui,

Contrary to a previous response, COSTCO does not charge its members for carpet measures. COSTCO actually provides additional and professional services not offered by may big box or retailers. Through COSTCO, a licensed interior designer comes to your house to meet with you and talk about your needs and desires. The only cost is if you live more than 25 miles from the store or if there are other travel expenses, toll bridge, ferry etc. Also, through COSTCO, the installation of the product is warranteed for two years. Standard installation warranty at the big boxes and retailers is one year.

Old 07-08-04, 10:17 AM
R
florcraft.. thanks for your response. in that case i might consider the dupont material as well. as for group discounts.. well, my buddy needs to sell his townhouse.. thus needs a carpet change as well.. so perhaps i'll try and see if we can get a good deal that way.

rod, i didn't know about costco offering 2 yrs warranty for installs. perhaps i'll give them a call and see. i'm just hoping that someone will actually give me a call and come for the measurements. i've left my number with them so many times, yet has no calls from them yet. go figure. perhaps i'll just give them a call today.

Old 07-08-04, 10:49 AM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
If you need a good price, then ask Costco for in-stock carpet, then go to Carpetone and ask for in stock too.
Costco deals with alot of carpet, and they probably buy alot, and also hide freight in other parts of the store to keep carpet price down.
Carpetone actually is the largest buyer of carpet in North America, so their in stock should be more competitive, and they carry a warrany for the lifetime of the carpet. So both stores should compete here. I did not know they didn't charge for measures.
Either way, make sure you compare apples to apples. Make sure the salespeople know what they are talking about, take notes, and do not let the wool pulled over your eyes.

Old 07-08-04, 10:54 AM
R
thanks florcraft! that's some good tips to know. i'm going to give costco a visit later 2nite and carpetone tomorrow after work.

since i'm a first time home owner and first time replacing carpets and doing home improvements... i'm very scared that if not careful.. wool will get pulled over my eyes..

Old 07-08-04, 12:47 PM
Rod Johnson
Visiting Guest
Costco does not stock carpet in their stores. All product is ordered specific for each member. Costco keeps prices competitive through a variety of ways. All of which are beneficial to the consumer.

Old 07-08-04, 04:11 PM
Believe it or not, Home Depot is the largest buyer / mover of carpet in the world. They move 3 times as much rug, as the nearest buying group.

I would purchase the carpet from anyplace, as the carpet is basically the same textile and styles anywhere you go.

Then go to www.CFIinstallers.com and click the link to find an Installer. Then type in your zipcode. Use one of those guys! You won't be sorry! You get to interview the actual installer, not somebody you have never met, and may not want to meet, getting bottom dollar, showing up to install your investment.

The most important day of your carpets life, is the day it is installed and who is installing it.

Old 07-15-04, 04:37 PM
ceb
Visiting Guest
I'll tell you who NOT to use. Don't use sid's carpet barn in San Marcos(also in San Diego)
The installation was so bad the next day there where huge wrinkles in the carpet in the living room. The bedrooms had pockets/buckling at the corners. Another bedroom had a bump running from one end to the other. They came to fix it four times and still canít get it right. One of the times they came back to stretch the carpet they didnít even move the furniture. From what I understand you canít stretch carpet with furniture on it. We asked if the 30 year old carpet tacks were okay during the original installation, the installer said yes but when they came back to do the repair a different installer said they should have been changed. So he put down new carpet tacks but didnít secure them to the floor!!! Currently it is lifting from the carpet tacks in the living room. What a surprise. They claim that because we didnít have tile in the adjoining rooms at time of installation that is what created the problem. Funny thing is they knew this when I bought the carpet. It wasnít an issue when they were taking my money but they are using it as an excuse now. Beware, DONĒT use sidís carpet barn

Old 07-15-04, 04:58 PM
Case in point!

You didn't get to interview the installer, did you?
Had you known, you wouldn't have let them in your home!

Old 07-18-04, 10:35 PM
R
good thing we don't have sid's carpet barn here. anyway, can't wait till this friday. Carpet One will come and install it. as for Costco... they sucked cuz they didn't even bother to return my calls. i called so many times and someone was suppose to call me back but never did. too bad for them. as for home depot.. they couldn't send a guy out till august... either they are hella booked or they didn't want my 606 sq ft. business. the funny thing is.. i live right behind the HD. anyway.. can't wait... i've been sleeping downstair on hardwood floors since i purchased this home.

Old 07-19-04, 06:52 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright
Believe it or not, Home Depot is the largest buyer / mover of carpet in the world. They move 3 times as much rug, as the nearest buying group..

Actually CarpetOne is, but it doesn't matter, Costco can hide overhead that lowers price on goods like carpet.

I would purchase the carpet from anyplace, as the carpet is basically the same textile and styles anywhere you go.
[/QUOTE]

Actually when talking about high end carpets, Lee's and Karastan are made different. But yes, most are just like alot of others, Mohawk or Shaw, nylon and such.

Old 10-23-04, 03:57 PM
gadgetfreak
Visiting Guest
We went to both CarpetOne and Home Depot. CarpetOne was quite a bit more expensive, but we liked them better. We have not yet tried to bragain with them -- do they come down on their price if you show them another estimate?

Old 11-17-04, 12:01 PM
ronkaplandc
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by florcraft
Actually when talking about high end carpets, Lee's and Karastan are made different. But yes, most are just like alot of others, Mohawk or Shaw, nylon and such.

How are Lee and Shaw made differently? I'm deciding between the two. Any advice on which is the better product? The color, warranties and price are similar.
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: