Old 08-11-04, 09:05 AM
dtv13
Visiting Guest
Residue on New Carpet

Hello,
I'm hoping someone here may have some insight to offer on this problem
The condensed version:
New Oelin berber carpet in May.
Noticed that the bottom of our feet were black at the end of the day.
If you wipe a damp white cloth over the surface you will not see anything.
Had the carpet professionally steam cleaned.
Good for a day, then the problem reoccured.
Carpet expert- hired by the manufacturer- was here at the end of July.
He used a black light and said the carpet wasn't the problem, it was something in the pad wicking through. The pad was florescent as was the back of the carpet where the pad had touched. Back of carpet wasn't florescent around the edges.
No one I've talked to has ever seen anything like this, not can they even speculate about what may be causing this.

Anyone out there have any ideas?

By the way, I'm a renter. I'm very concerned about our health and safety.

Old 08-11-04, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The backing will glow! Especially a white action-bac. It has white latex.

You bought OILY FIN(olefin)

That is common, with that carpet. The oily part keeps stains from setting!

Do you burn any candles in the home or have an oil burning furnace? Is your driveway or street black top?

Old 08-11-04, 02:26 PM
dtv13
Visiting Guest
The back of the carpet glows, but only where it has touched the pad. The pad glows and is a light, varigated color.

No, I don't burn candles or have an oil stove. We don't even wear shoes in the house.

It's common? Are you refering to the black residue on our feet? How common is it. Every entity involved in this fiasco has said they've never heard of or experienced this before.

Old 08-14-04, 05:56 AM
Is your driveway or street black top?

Was the carpet acid rinsed when they supposedly cleaned it?

If they cleaned it and acid rinsed it, the black transfer to your feet should have been minimized, or eliminated.

The padding has no effect on the black residue your encountering. It is something topical. It may be too much spun finish, from the manufacturer, but that is remedied, with an acid rinse.

Old 08-14-04, 05:59 AM
Believe it or not, the oils from your feet will attract dirt. It is better to have stocking feet or house shoes, to prevent this from happening. By this I mean the oils from your feet will transfer to the carpet, and make it attract dirt and dust.

Old 01-14-05, 11:17 AM
dtv13
Visiting Guest
Update on this weird situation

The mystery continues.
Okay, so the carpet expert claimed it was something in the pad wicking through.
The pad people said, nope, nothing wrong with their pad.
Landlord agreed to have an independent lab test. i wore a pair of new socks for a day. Not sure this was an accurate test because socks never turn black like to bottoms of our feet.
Anyway, the lab result states:
Primarily dirt. Carpet fibrous material. Some soot. No mold, fungi, chemical stain, or other identifiable material.

Soot? Would that make our feet black? And I mean they gradually get 'black' not all of a sudden. They look 'dusty' first and then black.
I don't burn candles or a fireplace. Where might soot have come from? The duct system, which does smell? Is the carpet in fact used, perhaps from a fire salvage?
I finally figured out what the air coming out of the system smells like, to me.
Souring milk. Yuk. That's a whole nother issue. They had the duct work brushed out, so it must be in the H/AC unit itself.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-14-05, 12:29 PM
So the home is heated with an electric heater? Which is getting replaced?

Old 01-14-05, 12:49 PM
dtv13
Visiting Guest
It's a electric central h/ac system.
It has always smelled bad. During the summer months I also kept windows cracked. That's hard to do in the winter.
The system is not being replaced. Just wondering if 'soot' is coming from the unit (and getting on the surface of the carpet) or if it were on the carpet prior to the carpet being installed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: