installing patterned carpeting

Old 10-17-04, 05:19 AM
sehresmann
Visiting Guest
installing patterned carpeting

We are putting a patterned carpet down consisting of 3 inch squares. The room is 45'x25'. Do you lay the carpet so the the pattern runs parrallel to the long sides of the square?

Old 10-17-04, 05:22 AM
sehresmann
Visiting Guest
carpet seams

On berber carpet, is it okay if the seams overlap or have gaps? Will this make the carpet less durable in these spots?

Old 10-17-04, 12:27 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpet installation

Ideally, it should be laid at right angles to the main source of natural light because seams will be less obvious. The primary rule is that all carpet must be laid in the same manufactured direction. A few other rules should be considered: Seams should never fall perpendicular to doorways. Seams should run toward primary light sources when possible. Except in the case of stairs, which can be quarter turned, carpet should always run in the same direction. It is also a good idea to lay it in the same direction as the room’s traffic movement. In practical terms, lay it whichever way requires the fewest strips to be cut. The width of carpet is also a factor because you want to minimize the number of seams in carpet. Most carpet comes in 12' widths, but there are some 13'6" and 15' carpets available. Carpets with small pattern matches will call for extra care on part of the installers so that patterns are properly aligned. Larger patterns don't have as many match points as smaller patterns. Extra carpet will need to be ordered due to need to align patterns.

There should be no overlapping or gaps in carpet seams. Berber carpets should be cut with a row cutter. Berber must be cut between rows, otherwise you will have cut carpet fibers. On patterned carpet, carpet should be trimmed on a pattern line so as to match the pattern seam. Patterns should always be cut on the pattern so that a full pattern is visible when two drops are seamed together. Seams should always be sealed. A bead of latex seam sealer must be applied to the cut edges to seal all seams. The seam sealer will lock in the tufts along the edge of the seam and prevent the loss of tufts at the seams and unraveling of rows on edge of seams on berber carpet.

It is a good idea to be home when installers are there so that you can watch to see that they properly seam carpet and use seam sealer. Many installers do not use seam sealer.

Learn more about carpet and its installation at www.carpet-rug.com on the Carpet Institute's website.

Old 10-26-04, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sehresmann
On berber carpet, is it okay if the seams overlap or have gaps? Will this make the carpet less durable in these spots?

No, that is called a "Hacked" in installation! You got the hacks, not the craftsmen!!

Did you hire these hacks, or were they subcontractors supplied by the retail store you purchased your carpet from?

All seams should be edge sealed with latex seam sealer or thermoplastic, before constructing the seam. The edges should be tight and not over lapped, with no rows cut. Cross seams should be avoided at all cost, even if extra material is needed, with more waste left over. I can and do make invisible seams in berber carpets. I Find it easier to hide seams in loop pile then I do cut pile, but that's just me. I hate installing loop pile berber. Takes 2 times as long to install and I can't charge 2 times more, but that's just me.

I would call back the installers and tell them to make it right or replace it all!

Old 11-29-04, 06:09 PM
eplain
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by sehresmann
We are putting a patterned carpet down consisting of 3 inch squares. The room is 45'x25'. Do you lay the carpet so the the pattern runs parrallel to the long sides of the square?

Thats a big room!

you didnt mention if you have any type of support poles in there.

that can change things.

a room THAT big will more than likely have traffic in ALL directions.

Let your measurer go through your options with you and LISTEN to his advice.

Ed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: