Should I pull up the corner of my carpet?

Old 10-21-04, 06:03 AM
Andy V.
Visiting Guest
Should I pull up the corner of my carpet?

My little chihuahua has been using a corner of our living room as a toilet lately, and I want to pull up the carpet in that corner, seal the floor underneath, replace that section of pad & then have the carpet cleaned. My question is, how easy is it to pull up the carpet in the corner (and how do I do it), or should I just have a professional do it? I know they stretch the carpet when they lay it down, and I just don't want to run into a situation where when I try to lay it back down, it doesn't reach all the way to the corner. I've never pulled up carpet before. Please advise! Thanks. By the way, if it makes a difference, the house is 3 years old and it's frieze carpet.

Last edited by Andy V.; 10-21-04 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-21-04, 06:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Since you want to replace the soiled carpet and pad, I would get a pro to do this job - they'll have to seam the new carpet to the old and that gets tricky.

I wouldn't do this job unless the pup is housebroken, though. If it isn't, it may just find a different place and you'll be right back where you started.

Old 10-21-04, 06:25 AM
Andy V.
Visiting Guest
This dog is almost 2 years old and started doing this when we moved in to the new house. She is so damn timid and does not like to go outside when it's really cold or raining, or in the middle of the night for that matter. I'm not replacing the carpet, just the pad. Then, I'll have the carpet cleaned. Would your recommendation remain the same?

Last edited by Andy V.; 10-21-04 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-21-04, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ahhh, your post said carpet & pad. Either way, your real problem is getting the dog housebroken first or you'll juat be doing this again........and again,.......and again.

You should be able to just pull the carpet off the tack strips and lift the corner out of the way. Use a utility knife (the infamous box cutter) to cut off the old pad and either drive the staples down or pull them out. Make sure you don't leave any "tufts" of the old pad on the floor. Cut your new piece of pad to fit and staple it down with 1/2" staples. Use plenty so it won't shift. Lay the carpet back in place and slide something hard (like a hammer head) over the edges to seat it back onto the tack strips. If you feel the need, you can rent a carpet stretcher, but I doubt if that's necessary in a corner. If you stretch it, you'll probably have to trim it so it goes under the baseboard.

Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: