Switch from carpet to wood on stairs?

Old 11-05-04, 10:41 AM
Avery
Visiting Guest
Switch from carpet to wood on stairs?

The steps going down to the rec room are carpeted. Our cats have clawed parts of it to shreds, and it doesn't really make sense to recarpet because of the cats and because that's the only carpeting on the main living level or downstairs in the recreation area. Underneath the carpet is the usual plywood. Is there a way that would look nice to cover the treads and risers with wood? Or would a staircase have to be built from scratch? (Or I'd be interested in other possibilities.)

Thanks!

Old 11-06-04, 06:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The expense will be well worth it, if you find the right craftsman to do it.

I can put wood on those stairs, no mater what they look like now. Don't get me wrong, some modifying of the existing staircase might be needed. Nothing is impossible.

Like the opening statement above. Expense! Don't stain your shorts when you see the cost of materials alone.

Old 11-09-04, 06:08 AM
Avery
Visiting Guest
Perry, thanks for responding. Can you tell me briefly what would be done and with what materials, what it would look like, what you would charge for the job in Austin, and how the !!?$@! I go about finding the right craftsman to do it?

Avery

Old 11-09-04, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you lived in or around Austin, I could give you a labor quote.

Without seeing the staircase, I have no idea what is involved.

$50 per hour + materials, is what I shoot for when bidding. Some may charge more, some may charge less. I feel I'm worth that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: