Removing tack strips

Old 11-23-04, 12:36 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing tack strips

I am going to be removing the old carpet and padding myself. Do I remove the old tack strips as well? The house is just under 20 years old and I think the carpet I am ripping up is the original carpet if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Old 11-23-04, 01:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jstewie23, Welcome to the DIY Forums.

Your question brings back memories. I removed my own carpet and pad, left the strips for the installers, and they tore them out. Told me the warranty would not cover unless they put in new strips. I didn't care, they were paid for I guess (I didn't get charged any extra). They were in good shape, no breaks or anything. Might want to call the store if you are having new carpet installed.

Old 11-23-04, 01:52 PM
J
Thanks. I removed carpet in a different room on a previous install and I did remove the old tack strips. When the installer came and saw that I removed them, he questioned why I did it. He said that I should leave the old ones b/c they were already firmly attached and that new tack strips would be looser.

That's why I want to find out a little more before I remove the carpet this weekend.

Old 11-23-04, 02:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Take them out . The carpet guy will put new ones in and this way its all on him. He cant say that the rug is not right cause he used your tack strips.

ED

Old 11-23-04, 05:01 PM
There is nothing wrong with reusing the existing tackstrip, as long as it is not pet damaged, water damageed, wrotten or rusted pins.

Removing existing tackstrip from concrete can make installing the new strip a nightmare. Wood flooring isn't so bad.

If I came in and bid the job, I would bid it as if I were using the existing tackstrip. If you wanted to do the carpet take up, because I charge to do that, and you removed the tackstrip, I would charge you $1 per linear foot to install new, as I would, if I used the existing tackstrip and I had to replace rotten tackstrip, $1 per linear foot to replacle rotten or damaged tackstrip.

The retailer most likely absorbed this in his bid, and paid the installer for tackstrip installation, but I bet he had to pull teeth, to get paid for the extra supplies and time invested into the job. Retailers are notorious for under bidding labor. Then they subcontract out the labor. Which is a curse for disaster.

Old 11-23-04, 06:48 PM
D
Leave it in and the installer will replace it at his discression. If it is a concrete floor, leave it alone, do not remove it.

Old 11-28-04, 06:55 PM
eplain
Visiting Guest
This is the only post you (or anyone) need to read regarding this (Below by "Carpets Done Right") It seems that SOMEONE else knows what they are talking about! haha.

The installer that said that the carpet wouldnt be covered under warranty if the "sticks" arent replaced is funny. I wont even go off on that. As long as they are tight they are FINE! They can be down for multiple installations! you dont change your studs when you re-sheet rock do you?? (But they DO have to be tight and not rotted)

The installer will know what to do. You DONT want to tick him off in the first 2 minutes by "creating" additional work for him. AND! most cases the tackless (all materials other than carpet & pad) comes out of his pocket, so, if its all for nothing, hes not going to be happy that you did this because "you paid for new tackless". As "CDA" said, thats not true. Technically, you CAN! its YOUR house!, but think before doing that.

As far as concrete goes, i have seen holes the size of quarters come up with that tackless (where the nails were). This we DONT want!. Remember , the new stuff has to go back in the same place and those nails are spaced ...well....the same! so you have to shift it all down so the new ones fall inbetween the holes and well...sometimes the simple fact that you disturbed the concrete in that area just may cause the NEW ones to chunk the concrete off next to the holes and THEY wont go in. Now youre looking at a glue down tack job (which by the way...i ALWAYS did, WITH my nails. Using the best construction adhesive i can get my hands on) This requires you come back the next day for the install...providing you have proper temperature in that room. A topic i can talk for an hour on alone!)

this all usually happens to a customer that says: "I cant do that!! im having a birthday party down here tomorrow for 15 kids!!!!"

oh well

One technique, if using stiff carpet that requires a heck of tension (as i said, its ONE technique) you can butt the new tackless against the old (Room side, not wall side, as it wont fit anyway! :O)

and now you will have double tackless. i ALWAYS used extra wide tackless when doing heavy carpet. As a matter of fact, i always used wider tackless for all my jobs. The really big stuff (double wide) came out for berber on concrete (or a large room). Could never understand why someone would use "regular wide wood". Money i guess. Silly reason.

Ed

Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright
There is nothing wrong with reusing the existing tackstrip, as long as it is not pet damaged, water damageed, wrotten or rusted pins.

Removing existing tackstrip from concrete can make installing the new strip a nightmare. Wood flooring isn't so bad.

If I came in and bid the job, I would bid it as if I were using the existing tackstrip. If you wanted to do the carpet take up, because I charge to do that, and you removed the tackstrip, I would charge you $1 per linear foot to install new, as I would, if I used the existing tackstrip and I had to replace rotten tackstrip, $1 per linear foot to replacle rotten or damaged tackstrip.

The retailer most likely absorbed this in his bid, and paid the installer for tackstrip installation, but I bet he had to pull teeth, to get paid for the extra supplies and time invested into the job. Retailers are notorious for under bidding labor. Then they subcontract out the labor. Which is a curse for disaster.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: