Carpet Pattern Layout Question.

Old 11-26-04, 03:54 PM
Gnat X
Visiting Guest
Carpet Pattern Layout Question.

Patterned carpet layout question:

My room is 15' x 23' net. The carpet is 12' goods with an 18"w x 36" pattern repeat. Theoretically, two 12'w cuts of carpet..one approx 12x15'3" and the 2nd 12' x 18'3" should cover my floor and allow for pattern because 18" goes into 12'w carpet evenly.

Dilemma is this: If the carpet comes 11'10" or 11'11" my pattern will not run true. 18" will no longer go in evenly. My thinking is..if I have to cut in 18" on my second cut to make pattern, I will need a third cut of carpet to fill my room.

Its driving me crazy, because I spoke to an installer, who claims my width should be fine as explained in my first paragraph...because I should have 8 full patterns in 12', but a sales rep I spoke to, claims I must allow for both the width and length repeat when figuring for carpet, in case it comes narrower than a true 12'. Further...if my carpet, by some miracle comes 12'0" I won't need that third cut at all, and I'll basically be stuck with it.

Old 11-26-04, 09:08 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The easy way out would be to seek a carpet that comes in a 15' width.

The room is 23' you should be ok. It is rare that you need to move in a full pattern. Many patterned carpets have a "half drop" pattern and if you need to move in to the next pattern, move it in 1/2 pattern and over 1/2 pattern.

Old 11-28-04, 08:46 PM
eplain
Visiting Guest
WOW!

GREAT question!

Here is the Hard Rule on Patterns....

YES, sadly, that fellow that said to you...

"must allow for both the width and length repeat when figuring for carpet, in case it comes narrower than a true 12'."

Was correct!

It doesnt even matter if it comes in less than 12, you do this anyway.

(as a genral rule, cut piles usually come in 11'10"-12'-0" and loop piles (usually) come in slightly over or dead on 12'. I have gotten 12'3" or more but never seems to come in over when your looking for it

Patterns (can) create incredible amounts of waste. THAT is what you have to deal with when you get one. The salesman isnt trying to get anyone to buy more carpet, he is doing it right.

First of all, if i were you , i would do whatever i could to find a carpet that I liked that came in a true 15'...i cant stress that enough...PLEASE look into that! (and check your doorways!!!! it may be 15' sheetrock to sheet rock but it MAY be 15'6" door to door!)

If you are in love with this piece, and you simply MUST have it, and its 12' goods, you are putting a heck of a lot of pressure on this installer to get a "breadth seam" (right down the center) in your room (Your probably have a loop pile too?...ouch) I hope the seam runs perpendicular to your lighting (window) or you WILL see that seam more than likely).

rule is this....

your two shots (15' net cuts (2) 15'3" shots (no pattern) Now you add the pattern repeat to the 2nd shot for an 18'3" cut. PERIOD! that IS what you cut...thats 44 yards)

Now, you must account for pattern side to side. (see if it will go)

You are saying you have 1 foot to play with. Keep in in mind a good installer may straight edge a solid 2-3 inches off each seam edge to get a good strong piece of material on a NON pattern carpet, this means you now have about a half foot to play with, providing he doesnt have to cut again for some bizarre reason. You see, many times carpet is weak on the edge, the backing delamintes slightly. you want to bite into it a bit for some firmness.

Then!
You need to ride up the wall a couple inches as an industry standard ( i always used 3"). Not all rooms are square and you need something to play with if you need to shift, we NEVER net the room...NEVER! this is NOT a good practice for several reasons.

So now that leaves you with nothing left for pattern repeat. Nothing.

that being said, you have a pattern of 18 inches...so...i say no, it wont work out for you this way. You cant order carpet and "hope" you have enough. God knows i have had so many salesman try that in my day and they always get burned. The job doesnt go in , or if it was from roll stock it means having more carpet cut and sent out at the salesmans expense.

Also, sometimes (a lot of times) patterns get a little "kooky" when they get to the ends (sides) of the roll. The carpet is sometimes weak around there and the pattern may be a bit wavy. Of course there are ways to deal with that if you HAVE to, but you DONT actually create that issue for yourself. It is common to bite into the rug when straight edging as much as you can as to get a good STRAIGHT edge.

Soooo much is in play here.

I really need to see the room layout (where the windows (any lighting) are located, doorways, furniture postion, traffic area, fire place...all of it, to make this "call"

You send me all that with your pattern and i can tell you what you need and after i do so , you will understand.

3 shots MAY be your answer- Thats 15'3", 18'3", & 18'3" for 69 yards.

This leaves you with about a 9x18 waste (after straightedging (4) sides- 2 seams)

Need some stairs done?? want a couple of area rugs? :O)

Your only other option is to panel that 3rd shot. But keep in mind, even panels need to carry the repeat! (both ways!)

Ed

Originally Posted by Gnat X
Patterned carpet layout question:

My room is 15' x 23' net. The carpet is 12' goods with an 18"w x 36" pattern repeat. Theoretically, two 12'w cuts of carpet..one approx 12x15'3" and the 2nd 12' x 18'3" should cover my floor and allow for pattern because 18" goes into 12'w carpet evenly.

Dilemma is this: If the carpet comes 11'10" or 11'11" my pattern will not run true. 18" will no longer go in evenly. My thinking is..if I have to cut in 18" on my second cut to make pattern, I will need a third cut of carpet to fill my room.

Its driving me crazy, because I spoke to an installer, who claims my width should be fine as explained in my first paragraph...because I should have 8 full patterns in 12', but a sales rep I spoke to, claims I must allow for both the width and length repeat when figuring for carpet, in case it comes narrower than a true 12'. Further...if my carpet, by some miracle comes 12'0" I won't need that third cut at all, and I'll basically be stuck with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: