Stair carpeting is loose.

Old 12-14-04, 11:13 AM
bazoni
Visiting Guest
Question Stair carpeting is loose.

Please advise the best way to tack down wall to wall carpeting on my stairs.

Tkx!

Old 12-14-04, 05:54 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it over a cushion?

Old 12-15-04, 06:43 AM
Wall to wall on stairs is usually installed by stretching the carpet onto tackstrip boards. Restretch it up onto the tacks on the tackstrip and retuck.

I have seen many installers, not put tackstrip on the sides of the treads. Wrinkles soon appear down the middle of the staircase.

Old 12-19-04, 03:48 PM
justmyopinion
Visiting Guest
If you choose to do it your self you will have to go and rent a knee kicker, so you can stretch the carpet properly, and depending on the type of carpet it is, and what the shape of the tack stip isin you may need to staple it onto the tack stip after you stretch it..... If it is only wrinkling because their is know tack strip at all on the sides, you are going to have pull all of the carpet up and install that as well... But first i would talk to the installer and see if there is some kind of warrentee, because if they installed it correctly that carpet should last for years without getting loose.

Old 12-19-04, 08:56 PM
Manufacturers won't warranty carpet on stairs. If it is after one year, the installer doesn't have to honor any repairs.

Stairs are the most used and abused part of a home.

Old 12-20-04, 12:01 AM
justmyopinion
Visiting Guest
what i meant by the warrentee is

that if this carpet is somewhat new, and the current owner of the house was the one that paid for the installation... If you pay any type of contractor to do a service for you they by law are responsible for fixing any mistakes that are from poor craftsmanship or if they cut corners.. But we dont have much info here, maybe he bought carpet and is doing it himself????????

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: