Pull carpet up, fix squeeks, replace?

Old 12-30-04, 07:14 PM
mtetrick
Visiting Guest
Pull carpet up, fix squeeks, replace?

Hi - I have a few terrible squeeks in my upstairs bedroom floor. Is it a big deal to pull the carpet up, screw the subfloor into the joists and then put the carpet back down? Can 1 inexperienced person do this? Luckily the squeeks are within a few feet of the wall. Would I need to get new tackboard to make the carpet stay down after I am finished? Any special tools? If this is a big tricky job that can be screwed up, please let me know ;->

Thanks for any advice.

Mike
Roswell, GA

P.S. The carpet is a 1 year old berber.

Old 12-30-04, 07:29 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
A begginer would be able to this but you would need at leats a knee kicker and more than likely a power stretcher.I was going to say to stay nail it but on second thought get an icepick and get into the corner of the room and poke the carpet and start to pull it back then grab with your hands and pull it free of the strip and back far enough to get to the squeeks fix them and the lay the carpet back in there and atke a stretcher and starting on one end of the room stretch it back onto the strip and tuck back in as you go and work you way to the opposite side of the room keeping the stretcher at a slight angle to keep everything even and to reduce the bubbles.If you try this with a kicker i hope you have good knees cause berber does not give easily

Old 12-30-04, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With a berber, you can damage it real easily, by just pulling it off the tackstrip.
It can pull a yarn through the backing, from hanging on the tackstrip. Now you have a problem.

I use a stretcher to remove berber carpet from tackstrip, if it is to be reinstalled after a repair such as yours.

It is more likely going to cost you more for tool rental, not to mention the learning curve to use them right without damaging the carpet, then it would if you hired it out.

It just depends if this guys sees a minimum charge or if he is going to nail you for take up, waiting time, for you to screw the floor down, or he could charge you to screw the floor himself, and then a total restretch per sq.yard.

If you can find someone willing to help you out on a minimum plus hourly basis($75 first hour, $50 for each additional hour), you could both be happy

You may need to cut the carpet open somewhere, or pull/cut an existing seam apart. Then you will need someone with a lot of experience.

Old 12-31-04, 03:54 AM
mtetrick
Visiting Guest
A seam

There is a seam in the carpet (and a closet) near where I am looking to fix the biggest squeek. It sounds like that might work to my advantage. The thought of using a carpet stretcher is a little scary (esp. considering I don't even know what one looks like....time to do a google image search). I might just call a pro for an estimate after all.

Thanks for the responses.

Mike

Old 01-03-05, 05:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try to do everything you can, to keep from cutting the carpet open or cutting a seam apart!!!

It might be better to pull up the closet and without cutting it open across the doorway, fold the entire closet out into the room and then pull the area of the room up to get to the squeak.

Then flop the closet back in and stretch it back, along with the rest of the room, when your done chasing the squeak.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: