Padding for concrete slab Phoenix, AZ

Old 01-02-05, 08:01 PM
RitaP
Visiting Guest
Padding for concrete slab Phoenix, AZ

Hi All -

Within a few months, my husband and I hope to complete our 13-year on and off renovation of our small home with the installation of new carpeting. We purchased the carpeting several months ago, and while not particularly luxurious, I believe it is more than sufficient for our needs and comfort. (There is only my husband and myself, one small West Highland terrier, and occasional visits from grandchildren.) The carpet is a relatively short, dense, textured saxony nylon carpet with a 55 oz face weight and I believe a PAR rating of 3.50 or 3.75. Total installation will be about 95 square yards. I have read on several forums to get the best padding you can afford, and after much research, I am not certain there is a consensus as to what the "best" is for our situation. I have seen several brand names on the internet such as Foamex, Carpenter, SCI/sponge cushion, Omalon and Tred-More, but I am not certain these are the brands we should consider

We have agreed that we do not want rebond. We requested padding samples from S&S Mills (www.ssmills.com) and have selected the LUXURY STEP SYNTHETIC RUBBER (flat slab, not waffled) and the DREAMWALKER POLYURETHANE CLOSED-CELL as two pads to consider. Each is 7/16" and $.56/sq ft. I don't believe these brands are exclusive to S&S Mills because I have seen them on other web sites. I ordered samples from S&S because my son & his wife purchased carpeting from them several years ago, had it installed by a local Phoenix installer, and were very, very happy with the price and results.

The LUXURY STEP rubber cushion is nice, feels a little bit more "cushy" and "comfy" than the DREAMWALKER polyurethane pad. The DREAMWALKER feels more firm and supportive. One of us likes the "cushy" feel of the LUXURY STEP, the other prefers the firm feel of the DREAMWALKER. One of our concerns regarding the LUXURY STEP is that it might "bottom out" or flatten over time.

My question is this. For a single story home in Phoenix, Arizona, with a concrete slab floor, no radiant floor heating system, no moisture problem and where humidity is generally not a problem, which of these two carpet cushions would be the better choice - for ultimate comfort, carpet longevity, etc. After working on this house renovation "forever" we want the most luxurious-feeling pad we can afford. Are these two carpet pads worth consideration, and if so, which of the two would be the better choice for us? If there are better alternatives, we would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

Rita P.
Phoenix, Arizona

Old 01-03-05, 05:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instead of getting your cushion on-line, open your phonebook up and look for "Carpet Supplies" or "Flooring Distributors".

Call Big D Floorcovering Supplies:
602-442-2200 Main headquarters
602-547-1529 North warehouse
602-523-9221 central outlet warehouse

Ask about your cushion needs and costs. Act like you know what you are talking about, as you have here and they will take good care of your needs, and I bet at a better cost.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: