carpeting basement stairs

Old 12-23-04, 09:14 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carpeting basement stairs

I'm a do-it-yourselfer - I am putting a carpet in my basement and I have about 6 wood steps leading to the basement. Should I try to install the carpet on the stairs myself?? I would think I could just staple to the wood stairs or is it harder than it looks.

Old 12-23-04, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go for it, after all, your a DIY'er.

Depending on the staircase design, it could be pretty straight forward, or it could be an upholstred nightmare. I have inspected some drive by shootings in my time!

As long as it looks good to you is all that matters, right.

Old 12-24-04, 12:50 PM
justmyopinion
Visiting Guest
Some carpet stores have their own installers, If you recently bought the carpet from a store that does, I recomend haveing them do that part.

If you choose to still do it you self, Its not the hardest thing in the world to do but. You have to have to put tack stip around on the sides, and on the back, and you have to have a knee kicker (must) and a GOOD stapler. Then just start at the bottom and work up.

I have never seen 2 steps that are the same width. (some are better than others),When you cut the carpet remember the width of each step sometimes will be different so measure all of them before you cut the carpe. some times it is easier to do 2 or 3 steps at a time reather than doing the whole flight.

I hope I was some help

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-04-05 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Comments not relevant to help the DIYer

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: